Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

AC Clutch never disengages

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:53 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts
Default AC Clutch never disengages

I actually have a 2007 Jeep Compass but the Dodge Caliber is essentially the same car. I would post my question in the Jeep forum but there is no traffic over there and I'm wasting my time. Been there, done that. This is why I am asking here.

I have a 2.4L engine. My AC clutch is always engaged. It never disengages. Doesn't matter if the AC is on or off. Even pulled the plug on it and it still stays engaged. Checked refrigerant level. It was a little low so filled it up with AC Pro. That got the AC to go from no cool air (90 degrees) to the 60's/70's so that helped. But still not as cold as it used to be (like the 40's). Checked for leaks with UV dye. No leaks anywhere. So now it is not blowing any cold air again. I give up. Anyone ever hear of an AC clutch that never disengages?

Thanks! Ed

Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

These usually disengage with it turned off. These use a variable pressure compressor that does not cycle like most cars do. I would say that if it didn't release by unplugging the clutch, then it is probably just stuck in. You may be able to tap it with a hammer and it may release.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

Hi lxman. I have since discovered I have a clutchless AC compressor. The Germans make a clutchless compressor that are used on VW's, Audi's and a few others including my Daimler engine. Turns out there is nothing wrong with my compressor. A good system evacuation, vacuum, and recharge by a professional did the job. Those little cans of refrigerant you buy at WalMart are a joke as it relates to my Jeep. Thanks for posting.