Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Throttle control indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Wfk8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle control indicator light

Hello,
First of all forgive me for appearing on this forum requesting help but I am not sure where to turn to.
I have owned a 2008 dodge caliber for 4 years now. 67000 in the clock, regularly serviced since new and it has been a joy to own and been lucky as I've had no problems, mechanical or otherwise. There are a few of them pounding the streets of Liverpool but are by no means common. The cost of refuelling at cost, on regular basis, is compensated by the enjoyment of the ride and being able to get a couple of mountain bikes in the back at the weekend. Lately though I noticed the dodge appeared to be revving more than usual when idle.
A week ago the warning light for the electronic throttle indicator came on and the car went into limp mode. Made it home with a queue of traffic in my wake but made it nonetheless. After searching the interenet it appears this has happened to a lot of Dodge Caliber drivers over the year and is far from rare. The general concensus was get it checked out by a mechanic. I drove the car to my local garage, about 15 minutes, never able to get over 20 mph and taking an age to even get up to that speed. The garage have told me there were unable to fix my car and it needed a new part, an "electronic throttle control motor" . This is what apeared on the diagnostics. The mechanic also advised they have been unable to source the part anywhere in Europe, never mind the UK, and although they may be able to get one in the US but it would be months before it was shipped. Not the news I was hoping for.
I remember when I bought the car it had just had a new throttle body as the seller of the car gave me the receipt and 1 year warranty from a local dealership, not a dodge dealership. Mentioning the new throttle body could well be all academic as they could well need replacing regularly anyway.
So I drove the car home, in limp mode, and have been left to find the part or a fix myself, I think the garage are too busy and have hit a dead end as far as fixing my car is concerned and I accept that.
I began searching the Internet for the part.
My concern is, in many hours of searching have I never come across an electronic throttle control motor. Throttle control body, yes, Throttle control sensor, yes, but never a throttle control motor. I have a few questions if anyone can help. Is this 'motor' part of the throttle control body? Is it a separate from the throttle control body? Is there such a thing an electric throttle control motor? Is the sensor a completely different issue and not related to any of the above? As you have probably gathered I am not mechanically inclined and would appreciate any help or guidance that comes my way..

Old 05-07-2019, 09:55 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the long delay in a response. Did you ever get this issue resolved?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 PM
jjayzzone

I once had the limping issue. I replaced the entire throttle body, which includes the throttle control motor that you're referring to. Fixed the "lightning bolt" issue. An example is linked below.

Replacement is easy;
1) Remove the plastic air tube
2) Remove four bolts and electrical connection
3) Install new throttle body assembly and reconnect bolts/electrical wire

Done

Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Wfk8

Thank you very much for getting in touch, much appreciated.
I had no car for about 6 weeks while I tried to resolve the issue but I was getting nowhere.
I got desperate as I needed a car and hated relying on favours and lifts so I traded it in for a new Vauxhall. Not as much fun to drive, not as much room for my passengers, no more feeling indestructible out on the road but I now get more than 3 streets without having to refill at the petrol station. I miss the dodge though.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:50 AM
Wfk8

Thank you for your time and explanation.
I limped into the car show room with the Dodge and part exchanged it for a new car. Hopefully someone has fixed it and gave it a new lease of life. Apart from the problem with the Electronic throttle the Dodge was in fantastic condition and hopefully the new owner has as much fun as I did.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:58 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the update

Quick Reply: Throttle control indicator light