Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Caliber in, getting this weekend, question about speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
VulnoX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliber in, getting this weekend, question about speakers!

My Caliber was not supposed to be built and shipped until the 31st, but I got a call today from the dealer saying it had just arrived. That's good news. So this weekend I am driving to Indiana to get it and bring it back to Michigan. It will be a good first road test.

My question about the speakers is this, and only current owners may be able to tell me, but I will take whatever I can get.

I did not order the soundgate package, about the only option except a radio upgrade that I did not get on my R/T. That is because at the time I thought it was just the drop down speakers on the tailgate, which I thought was close to useless. I did not know it was a whole speaker package with subwoofer.

So I am wondering, would it be very hard to replace the vehicles speakers myself, and is it possible to add a subwoofer to the spot in the back where the subwoofer comes from the factory?

The salesman did not say anything about Dodge being to add anythinhg on the dealer side, and I would like to keep from using cargo space for a subwoofer. So what do you suppose my options are?

Anyone order a Caliber but not get the soundgate who can tell me how the stock speakers are?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran
Default RE: Caliber in, getting this weekend, question about speakers!

Congrats! I hope you really enjoy your first Dodge! You bring up a really good question.... I've read elsewhere that the stock speakers sound less than thrilling, but that was just one person's opinion. Some people have too high of expectations sometimes. I remember the stock speakers in my '02 Neon ES sounded really good for stock speakers.

I wonder how well the MusicGate Sound System actually sounds? Is it really worth the $400+ price tag? Does it have a lot of base? Does it the music get noisy if you turn it up really loud, or how loud go you go before it sounds like crap? If someone could answer these questions for the people who have a Caliber with the premium sound system, this will also either make you feel really, really bad if it sounds really good, or feel good because you didn't waste $400+ on a potentially hyped up sound system.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
VulnoX
Professional

Thanks for the reply. I have heard good things about the Soundgate. Its done by Boston Acoustics I believe.

I guess I should see how it sounds myself, everyone has different tastes. But if I can swap the speakers easily, it would probably be cheaper and maybe even better.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

Yeah Dodge uses Boston Acoustics for its audio provider now and most of the time, they're speakers sound really well. I'm sure you can swap out the stock speakers for something better if you choose to do so.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 AM
mperry

I'm not sure about the Caliber, but the 2005 Neon *really* needed different speakers. Upgrading the stereo, however, was a waste of money. The factory unit sounded as good and was more convenient at finding stations w/o looking away from the road. I guess about 30% improvement in sound and volume after replacing 4 of the 6 speakers.

If you go with an amp, consider one of the 5-way units (4 standard plus sub). It'll cost about $100 more and worth the cost. The Alpine MRVF950 is a great unit. It might fit the stock area. If not, mounted under a seat, or in the spare tire area, works well. (I usually mount it directly under the seat on brackets... so it's hidden from thieves... who usually check the floor. That's another bonus w/ the stock radio. They don't suspect you have a stereo upgrade.) Remember... it doesn't matter too much where you mount the sub, so you can tuck it away where it isn't seen.

Check with your insurance agent and keep the old speakers around. Farmers refused to cover the subs that were stolen from my former car, because they weren't factory installed.

Quick Reply: Caliber in, getting this weekend, question about speakers!