Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

AutoStick coupled with the CVT2

Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 PM
highcaliber69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AutoStick coupled with the CVT2

ORIGINAL: VulnoX

ORIGINAL: wildbill

I am a little confused about how the CVT2 works. Do you have to choose CVT2 or Autostick before you begin driving or can you flip from one to the other on the fly?

For instance, you talk about pick-up under 20 MPH with the CVT2, can you use the autostick to increase the acceleration and then over 20 MPH drop back to CVT2?
It is all done on-the-fly.

Ok I will try to describe it:

You have a shifter layout that is the same as most any other vehicle. You have Park at the top, then drop down through reverse, neutral, and then Drive.

Now if you drop it down to Drive and just leave it there, the CVT works on its own, no shifting just push the pedal and go.

You have the option, at any time, to move the shifter to the left or the right. Think like an old Atari joystick. You just push to the left andit returns to the center. When you push left, it "downshiftS" and you are now in autostick mode. You can then push to the left or right and downshift or upshift.

Unlike a manual, or at least any I have been in, the computer wont let you downshift to a "gear" that would make for an unsafe RPM for the engine and transmission. If you are doing 80 and push it left or right, it puts you in the gear that is the safest and best for your speed, which would be 6th if you were doing 80, seems to go to 5th if at around 40, etc.

When you want to go from autostick to Drive, just hold the shifter to the right until the car goes back to drive, usually 2 seconds, you can see on the dash that it went back to drive because when in autstick it shows "D" and then "1,2,3..." depending on what gear you are in. When just in regular Drive, it only shows the D.

You can usually feel it when it goes back to Automatic also.

It is really hard to describe a system like this if you have never experienced it, I hope I am getting something across.
so it sounds like a thing out of need for speed, where u can shift when you want, or have the computer do it
interesting....

Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
highcaliber69

sry but i just thought of this. basically you cant accidentally blow the engine because it automatically shifts at the redline. is that right?

Old 04-17-2006, 11:21 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

IMO, if you're dumb enough to get it to the red line and keep there long enough to blow the engine while accelerating then you deserved it. To answer your question, yes. It will also protect you from down shifting too soon and over doing the engine.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:38 PM
highcaliber69

i didnt ask about downshifting, i asked if u can blow the engine
and hu u callin dumb? u think u no more than me?why, because your older?
and i didnt ask you anyway, it was directed at vulnox

Old 07-15-2006, 11:20 PM
StephenM UK

Thanks for the description of the CVT, I too was wondering about the Autostick feature. Is it standard on all Caliber CVT models?

I have one on order but have only seen/driven a manual.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:42 PM
HICALIBER

The 2.0L can come with the CVT.
The 2.4L can come with the CVT2, which includes the AutoStick feature.

I'll agree with what has been written about the CVT2 w/ AutoStick. I have almost 2500 miles on my R/T now and it is a lot of fun and behaves as described above.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:04 AM
StephenM UK

Thanks for that, however I've just checked in the brouchure (and this is a European model, so it may well be different to the US ones) and it says that the 2.0L engine with a CVT2 however, no mention is made to it having the AutoStick option?? So, if I'm right CVT2 should come with Autostick as standard or is this an upgrade??

I have an Automatic with a Tiptronic transmission in my current car, which I assume is similar to AutoStick??

Sorry for all the questions!

Old 07-16-2006, 05:14 AM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

I outran a Pontiac Gran Prix GTP in my R/T using the slapstick last week. That explanation enuff?

Fine German engineering...............

Old 08-16-2006, 11:00 PM
n1vek

ORIGINAL: TUNDRA_schumacher

I outran a Pontiac Gran Prix GTP in my R/T using the slapstick last week. That explanation enuff?

Fine German engineering...............
Maybe if it was still in park.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:10 PM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

Well, I did...take it for what you want [8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoStick coupled with the CVT2