Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Real Gas Mileage with automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
litesong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Real Gas Mileage with automatic

Hi Jib01...Twice now you have said I have the 5 speed Caliber(in this thread & in another thread), tho you know I have the SE Caliber. My posts above clearly state I have the SE Caliber with CVT & 2 liter engine. You must have a mental block as you wish to negate my MPG reports.

The EPA MPG numbers only have been lowered because they are now driving the tested cars at higher accelerations & speeds like people drive their cars now. The EPA got tired of listening to American complaints about EPA MPG estimates, so now give Americans what they want.The EPA higher differences in the pre-2008MPG estimates as compared totheir present 2008 MPG estimates are proof that careful slow driving & slower acceleration(slow & v.v. careful accelerationfor the Caliber), will get you 10+% better MPG.

Use theright lane of the freeways.

But if you insist on driving 80MPH (& I assume you accelerate faster than me & probably more unsmoothly) during this period of low energy winter mix gasoline, I don't need to hear your unexpected surprise & complaintsanymore about low gas MPG. I've reported to you & others, over & over on this website & other websites how to raise MPG. If you don't use my methods because of some seeming American idea that you must physically keep up & tailgate the Jones' guzzle-mobile, take the gas MPG you get.

As for me, I love to drive & see the terrain ofplanet Earth thru clear air. I love to stop at gas stations 10+% less than others do.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Jib01

The problem is that I do drive like you. Always accelerate with 2000rpm or less most of t he time. Never put my foot into it unless I have to really pass someone. What about the factory fixes, have you had all of those done ?

Regards
Jib01

Old 11-23-2007, 01:49 PM
litesong
Rookie

If you are nonchalantly going to drive 80MPH, you don't drive like me. My wife gotv. tired on a vacation, so we came back home in one day driving considerably faster than my usual speed & passing people. That one return, 70MPH was my max speed on the freeway.

Usually, I don't pass people unless they are 10MPH below the speed limit & enjoy being behind someone who isa bit BELOW the speed limit.I don't have a tachometer, but seem to have v. fine Caliber MPG without it. If your throttle is a bit jumpy, you have to overcome that throttle & make it really smooth in the first 0 to 5MPH acceleration. The initialrpm may be less than 2000rpm.I've had the 'TSB 18-...something' done. It was not to increase my MPG, but to correct the oxygen sensor settingwhile descending from mountain passes of 4000 foot altitudes. My dealer is really good tho & I trust him with my Caliber.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Jib01

Ok, I have completed my trip to California with the following results....

Phoenix to Needles driving 77mph and many hills 24.92mpg
Needles to Buttonwillow driving 67mph minimal hills 28.979mpg
Buttonwillow to San Mateo driving 65-67mph no hills 30.65mpg

So the MPG chart in one of the other forums seems to be correct. Optimal speed for best gas mileage is 65-67mph.

On my way back I will travel at 77-80mph on flat terrain but I think the mpg will be about the same as my first one.

BTW, the car rode fine and felt like a Mercedes ride (1987 280 from what I remember). It climbs hills effortlessly. That CVT is terrific on hills. And Grandma said it was comfortable riding in the back seat. So far a pleasure to drive.....

Regards
Jib01

Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM
StepOnIt

ORIGINAL: Jib01

<snip>
BTW, the car rode fine and felt like a Mercedes ride (1987 280 from what I remember). It climbs hills effortlessly. That CVT is terrific on hills. And Grandma said it was comfortable riding in the back seat. So far a pleasure to drive.....

Regards
Jib01
I too found that the Caliber has a very comfortable ride for all passengers, front or back. The reclining backrests in the back seats are a nice feature. At highway cruising speed all we hear is a bit of noise coming from the tires on the road. My only (minor) criticism is the thick A pillars that sometimes block the view while in a turn.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 AM
somenothingness
Professional

I know there are thousands of MPG posts, but when my light came on I drove another 30 miles. I then filled up and got a little over 12 gallons to the TOP of the filler neck. If the tank is 13.6 gallons and I put in say 12.5 gallons to the TOP of the neck, then I must have had a gallon left and then a little in the neck. What is the neck capacity? Or, total tank and neck capacity?

I have the 2.0 CVT SXT with 17,000 miles on it. I have been real light and easy on it since I won't have cruise control until today. (being installed now hopefully.) My estimate thusfar is with a full tank to the TOP of the neck at 235 miles and right on half a tank on the gauge.

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
bigtsr
Captain

If you insist on filling your tank to the top of the neck you are going
to mess up the gas vapour recirculation system by damaging the
charcoal recirc canister and then you will be paying for repairs.
If you look under the rear end left side of the muffler you can see the
canister and the associated plumbing.
I get 25-27 citympg US right now and when the low fuel light comes on
I have 1.9 gallons left and the capacity is reported at 13.6 gallons US.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
somenothingness
Professional

It isn't that I insist on fueling up to that point everytime...I just got the car and wanted to know how far a completely filled tank would go. I don't know what to say other than at 255 miles I am just under a half tank. Thanks for that warning on the overfill. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
somenothingness
Professional

Here's a good question. When I bought my car, the salesman put in 20 dollars...about 7.25 gallons. It was 10% Ethanol. Could that contribute to a lower fuel efficiency? I have not run anything other than 87 octane since.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
bigtsr
Captain

Well while the Ethanol itself would notget as good mpg the amountup to10%
will itself be almost neglible in determining best mpg.
The things that are a detriment to mpg particularly in the "winter"
gas supplied are the other additives so that you don't have
problems in cold weather,these do have an effect on mpg.
The 87 octane is what the Caliber should be using,the higher octanes
really don't give better milage on a cost basis-you pay more for a minimal gain.
The best and surest way to determine your milage is to fill to first time the pump
turns off automatically,note your milage and if you can next fillup at the same
pump same station.
Don't forget that gas is heavy so the longer you go on that tank the better
the average mpg will be as you are not carting around all that gas as yougo.
I found that I get my best mpg from Shell or Sunoco 87.

Quick Reply: Real Gas Mileage with automatic