Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Tranny out

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 AM
jrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny out

Well I have a 2000 3.3 with a bad tranny. Idecided to do it myself and got it out today. 6 hours with some help from my uncle. Not bad for a first timer. Now on to the rebuild.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Tranny out

Get a good manual. Be aware that some special tools are helpful for safety and ability to work on them when disassembling the clutch packs. Some of the springs are loaded for bear that need to be pushed down to remover retaining clips and such. Good Luck,. I've been involved in rebuilding all but one of mine.
Congrats on dropping your first tranny and you didn't crush any bodily appendages or break the tranny case.
I'm curious how you supported the motor during the procedure? The next time I do one, I'm gonna get a support bar for over the top that sits in the fender/hood rail.
Keep us apprised of what you find.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 PM
jrn
Default RE: Tranny out

I'd be ashamed to post pictures of my engine support!! It was a solid piece of 2x2 steel with 1 ft. sections of towel wrapped 2x6's duct taped to the ends across the fenders. Then I duct taped this to the hinges to keep it from sliding down the nose until we put some pressure on it. Once the pressure is on, it's staying put. I ordered the ATSG book and video, but found a Chrysler mechanic willing to do it for $550, I agreed if he let me help. You know what they say about teaching a man to fish!! Next tranny I'll do on my own.

Quick Reply: Tranny out