Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Problem with warm tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 AM
meelis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with warm tranny

Dodge caravan '97 3.3 aut
When i start driving, my tranny just works fine but when it warmes up goes to the "Limp" mode. when i cool it down it just works fine again until ...

Faulty codes were
[ul][*]P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio[*]P0731 Incorrect 1st Gear Ratio[*]P0732 Incorrect 2nd Gear Ratio[*]P0733 Incorrect 3rd Gear Rati[*]P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction[*]P1780 Park/Neutral Position [PNP] Switch Circuit
[/ul]

Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Problem with warm tranny

The speed sensor is easy to replace.It uses a one inch box end wrench to remove and cost me about $20 at the dealer.There's an upgraded part that's made out of plastic and has a much stronger magnet.It might cost around $50 or so.I got that one but I think the parts guy screwed up on the price.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The output sensor will give you up to 7 codes. replace the output sensor and clear codes.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
dirtmover
Amateur

The output sensor willoften alsocause speedo problems. With limp mode I would suspect the input speed sensor. You should change both sensors at the same time. Onmy '99 the output failed about 9 months ago and the input failed justlast week. When I went to get a replacement from the dealer he said that they always replace them as pairs because it is common for them to fail within months of each other. As mentioned they are real easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Problem with warm tranny