Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

thinking about buying a 93 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 05:47 PM
lizzard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about buying a 93 Caravan

Hi
Just thought I'd ask some advice from some of you. I'm up in Canada and thinking about buying a used 93 with 119,000 kms. It's had a rebuilt tranny installed. I've driven it and it drives nice with no thud from the tranny. I'm not what you'd call a "dodge guy" so I don't know what are some dodge peculiarities to look for. The seller is asking $5000 cdn. for the van. It has the 3.3l v6,and the od tranny in it. It is also fully loaded,pw pl etc. Is this a good deal? It sounds almost to good to be true. I've seen some paperwork on the history of the van and it has had some insurance claims on the vehicle for accidents so I would like to get it on a hoist to look for frame damage. I don't want to buy a lemon, any imput from anyone would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:31 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: thinking about buying a 93 Caravan

The early Caravans with the 3.3/3.8 and 41TE/41AE options were about the best minvans ever built. Other than transmissions problems (which would have been corrected with a reman) they had very few issues.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Gatorade

Have someone check the Starter and the brake system.

My 1993 Voyager's radio died at 80,000km, so make sure it works.

My brakes gave out at 120,000km and almost caused a major accident. Had to use the Parking brake to stop.

Also, at 130,000km the Starter died, was stranded 300kms away from home.

Everything else is quite good on this van... just some things falling apart inside the interior... like the side ashtray at the back and the coin holder under the cup holders (poorly designed)

My car is now at almost 150,000kms and the engine itself still runs well.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:58 AM
HEMI ?
Rookie

i am not sure of the exact money exchange rate but 5,000 cndn is about what 4,000 us i am not sure.
it seems a bit high to me but that might be because i got a steal on my 96 so i may be a bit off
but hey they are great vans the 3.3 engine is good and if they fail parts are not as exspensive as the 3.0 engine

good luck with you choice

Old 11-04-2004, 03:53 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

I've got a '93 with 194K miles on it. It's the 3.3L, same tranny as yours. The engine has never been apart since I've owned it, nor has the tranny. It had 100K on it when I bought it about 6 years ago. Don't know if the tranny was original or not, but all I've ever done to it is filter and fluid changes every 25K miles. The last time I did it the magnet in the pan was covered with metal, so I'm not sure how much longer she'll last, but I've been happy with it. Not sure how the money equates. I gave $4000 US for it back then. the kms equate to about 72000 miles, which is low for that vintage vehicle.

Quick Reply: thinking about buying a 93 Caravan