Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Gr-Caravan - battery drain on hazard circuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 PM
foam_n_fibre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Gr-Caravan - battery drain on hazard circuit

Hi all, I have a 2001 Grand Caravan, and the battery is losing power over time. The battery is OK, it has been checked. I put a spare bulb in series with the battery and with everything off, I got the bulb glowing, showing that there is a decent current still running. I started pulling differemnt fuses, and pulling the fuse for the hazard lights stops the flow, so there is some indication of the problem location. Unforunately pulling this fuse also shuts off the turn signals, so I can't just go without it.

Anyone know of a likely suspect? A relay or switch perhaps? I'm not even sure where the turn and hazard relay is, it's not where the Hanes manual shows for this year.

Oh yeah, and sinceI did my fuse-pulling excercise,I now find that the ABS and parking brake warning lights come on for no apparent reason. One step forward and two steps back.....

Any suggestsion? Thanks,
Peter

Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 2001 Gr-Caravan - battery drain on hazard circuit

tell me what fuse u pulled there is not one for the hazzard it is controled by a computer not a fuse it may be the power supply to a computer or part of that but what fuse did u pull what number ??? and amp.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 PM
pp20bzs

I have a 2000 grand caravan and had a 1996 one also. They have always eaten batteries. Two other people I know with the same vehicles have the same problem as well. After dealing with the dealer on numerous occassions, without a real solution (new alternator, switches, etc. all under warranty) I just replace the battery every 18 months whether it needs it or not. I hope someone out there has a true solution. I think this model has had systemic electrical problems since the 1996 redesign. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
foam_n_fibre

I'm not sure of the fuse number, I don't see one on it. It is a 20 amp fuse. I took photos but can't seem to figure out how to attached them, I seem to need a URL for the photos, or if I click "Click here to upload" nothing happens.

Standing by the left fender, so the front is to my left, the 20A fuse is near the top left (this is the orientation of the writing on the fuse and relay box cover too). At the top left is a 25A fuse for ABS (the right front relative to the van), then to the right of that (behind it relative to the front of the van) is a square starter relay. The next to the right (behind it relative to the front of the van) is the 20A fuse I pulled.

On the cover, for the fuse i pulled it says HZD LP, and it does shut off the hazard lamps when it is pulled out. Pulling it also makes the turn signals not work when the van is running

This van is late 2001, almost a 2002, if that makes any difference.

If someone can tell me how to upload phoos, maybe this would be more clear!

Thanks,
Peter

Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

when i get to work tommarow i will look at my Fuse boxes i have next to me is your long or kinda square?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
foam_n_fibre

It seems that the file upload is working now, maybe it was my pop-up blocker.Then again when I preview the message, I don't see the photo(?)

As for the van, in case the photo does not appear with the text here, the fuse box is between the battery and the fender, about as long as the battery, and it is about half as wide as it is long. The photo was taken from standing by the left fender, the front of the van is on the left side of the photo.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Peter

[IMG]local://upfiles/62613/9B1CE46338EE4C90A81B5196A7D9D7EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 AM
foam_n_fibre

By the way, I'm in Canada. I'm not sure if different requirements for daytime running lights might have changed any circuits, but I expect most, including the hazard light circuit must be the same.

Peter

Old 05-12-2007, 09:15 PM
computerpulse

I would start with the ignition switch. This is a large box mounted to the the steering shaft. Are you having any metering problems that your aware of? such as temp, or oil or lights or anything abnormal? If so could be a ECM going out.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 PM
foam_n_fibre

Ignition switch? Just to be clear, are you saying that the ingition switch., which I assume must be on a different fuse than the one where the current is flowing, could still be the cause of the problem? I just wanted to make sure you caught the part about finding current flowing in the hazard lamp circuit, before I start getting into the ignition switch. Having the parking light red lamp and the ABS lights coming on now, however, does seem abnormal.

Thanks,
Peter

Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

sorry dude I have a vary sick baby and I am in the hospital with him.I wont be able to do anything untill i can get back to work and as for the ign switch no its not that.

Quick Reply: 2001 Gr-Caravan - battery drain on hazard circuit