Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
maher871
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My van currently has the following codes:

P1684 ( does not go away) even put a new battery in and cleaned the terminals etc. Cant figure that one out.

P0700 and P0740. 2 Shops didn't think twice about it and said the trans needs to be rebuilt. The third well respected Transmission shop I spoke to said before they would suggest a rebuild, they would like to pressure test, check for chafed wires near the firewall that is common? Check the trans wiring block for corroded terminals because it is right below the battery which doesn't help?

The van is a 2001 with a 3.8l and has 140,000 miles. There is absolutely no drivability problems other than a check engine light. I have no intention on selling the van, would just like a solution for the check engine codes.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

This may help. This is a PDF file that the dealer use's.

P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT
When Monitored: During Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch (EMCC) Operation.
Set Condition: A) Transmission must be in EMCC, with input speed > than 1750 RPM.
TCC/L-R sol achieves the maximum duty cycle & can’t pull engine RPM within 60 RPM of
input speed. B) Transmissions is in FEMCC & engine slips TCC > than 100 RPM for 10
seconds.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
RELATED DTC’S PRESENT
INTERMITTENT OPERATION
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM - TCC OUT OF RANGE
TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
1 NOTE: Low fluid level can be the cause of many Transmission problems. If
the fluid level is low locate and repair the leak then check and adjust the
fluid level per the Service Information.
NOTE: Always perform diagnostics with a fully charged battery to avoid
false symptoms.
With the DRBIIIt, read the engine DTC’s. Check and repair all engine DTC’s prior
to performing Transmission Symptom Diagnostics.
With the DRBIIIt, read Transmission DTC’s. Record all DTC’s and 1 Trip Failures.
NOTE: Diagnose 1 Trip Failures as a fully matured DTC.
Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors.
Repair as necessary.
Perform the Shift Lever Position Test. If the test does not pass, refer to Symptom test
for P0706 Check Shifter Signal.
For Gear Ratio DTC’s, check and record all CVI’s.
Most DTC’s set on start up but some must be set by driving the vehicle such that all
diagnostic monitors have run.
NOTE: Verify flash level of Transmission Control Module. Some problems
are corrected by software upgrades to the Transmission Control Module.
NOTE: Check for applicable TSB’s related to the symptom.
Perform this procedure prior to Symptom diagnosis.
All
Continue
Go To 2
2 Ignition on, engine not running.
With the DRBIIIt, read Transmission DTC’s
Is the DTC P0750 and/or P0841 present also?
All
Yes ! Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate
symptom.
Perform 41TE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1.
No ! Go To 3
TRANSMISSION

Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
EricOH
Default codes 846 and 700

I really hate to jump in on another post but since were on the subject of tranny issues, heres mine.

2004 Grand Carvan, 3.8l, average mini-van. 196k miles (bought with 105k on it).

Last two weeks, about 4 different times. All at low speed (idling around walmart waiting for wife to grab something, downtown metro traffic, etc). Van will go in to limp mode and stay stuck in 2nd gear, sucks gas, etc.

Turning off and restarting, problem "goes away" but CEL still lit. Last night it did to the wife and she was just sitting at a friends house on the street talking for 20 minutes with it idling. Stuck in 2nd, shut it off, restart, drove ok.

I do notice that the downshift from 2 to 1 is a tad rough. Idle seems to be a little lower than normal (600rpm vs 800-900).

Advanced Auto pulled po846 and po700 codes (he said they repeated but no other codes). Makes sense since it's happened 3-4 times (maybe 5) in last 2 weeks.

Ideas? Van has always been a little hesitiant to go in to gear (move it to drive or reverse and it takes an extra second or two to kick in) but never had a code before and has been a consistently good vehicle (previously had a 99 T&C and loved it).

Eric

Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
glenw
Default 2003 caravan problems

I'm looking for wireing diagrams to check the wireing on my 2003 caravan,trying to trace back wires to check for shorts. I have replaced the TCM and had it programed.
I'm still getting 1st grar ratio incorrect,both sensers show voltage when checked with a magnet.
I'm looking at a 2002 caravan to switch out the transmissions will this work ?

Also I had to add fluid weeks back and only could get regular Dextron,put in 1/2 a litre, could this cause the problem?

Last edited by glenw; 04-18-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM
freyfam02

we have a 2007 dodge grand caravan. Just replaced the steering pump. We started the van, then turned it off to add some more power steering fluid. Went to turn van on again, to take it for a ride, and the gauges started to go crazy and made a sound under the hood. We checked the code reader and it says P0700... now what do we need to do?? Stumped. It did show that there were two codes, when we went to scroll down to see the second one, all the lights started going crazy and then the code reader went off.

Last edited by freyfam02; 07-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the battery drained or you have a loose or corroded connection. Will it start if you jump start it? The P0700 may just be induced by low voltage.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 AM
freyfam02

I will have to check that. we are going to check all the wires too to see if anything got pinched.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 PM
richard succaw
Default 2006 dodge caravan p0700

I went through and replaced my input and output speed sensors today. I reset the code error and still get the p0700 I used to get a 00733 and p0734 but that hs not came up. Im in a bind need help asap

3.3l

Old 12-26-2016, 01:45 AM
Madalyn Morris
Default 02 grand caravan 3.3 transmission problem

I haven't had any trouble out off my transmission but all of a sudden when i went to leave the grandparents w the kids for our two hour trip back home after christmas we leave and the van backs up fine we get 50 ft the stop sign pull out and we wont change gears so we stop then the van wont go foward at all we put in reverse and back up the street and up the hill into the carport i replaced the filter and fluid today and still sane problem i have 6 kids and a single income i have done all my own repairs my entire life do you know more about these aforementioned codes could this possibly be a cheaper fix than a new vehicle or transmission replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).