Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2007 Grand Caravan Transmission Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 AM
next2pool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Grand Caravan Transmission Stuttering

The chrysler transmissions are a "clutch to clutch" design which means that as one clutch engages, another clutch has to immediately dissengage at the same time. This design was pioneered by Honda and then copied by Saturn. For many years this design was very problematic. Yes it was lighter, more compact, and less expensive. Chrysler was the last one to get it right-in fact you can argue that they still don't have it right. Saturn has abanded the design and in may applications use the Honda Transmissions or the trusted GM 4te40. The long and short of it is that these designs will never feel as good as a true "over running" design like we are used to. The Chrysler transmissions will have a lot of foibles that are disconcerting even when they are operating as best as they can!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
jc13

I have read that for the 2007 Grand Caravan and Town and Country, Chrysler installed Kevlar clutches in their transmissions and these require a longer "break in" period. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old 06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
jc13

Just to follow up on this issue, I read this on another forum regarding the stuttering in the 2007 model transmissions:

dealer says chrysler told them they are working on new software upgrade and hope to have it in about a month. this is caused by new kevlar clutches witch tend to grab more than previous clutches did.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
clacker

Follow up on my side.
Just coming back from 3000 km trip. the day before we left, the dealer did a reset of the computer. Working fine, but still with the same hesitations or problems.

About the software, the dealer told me the same thing that they were waiting for an upgrade and that at my next visit, they will do it if available. One thing that the technician mention was that new for 2007, there are two new pressure sensor on the transmission and that all 2007 transmission problems may be related to them (meaning, the sensor vs ECU).

We will see.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
jc13

Thanks for the update. When I take the van in for an oil change, I'll see if there is a software update. I still have the issue where the 3-4 shift hesitates when first driving after the van sat overnight or for a long period during the day. But after the first shift from 3-4, maybe the second also, the transmission shifts fine.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM
manipulators

Has anyone heard about the service bulletin for this yet? My Van has 14K miles on it now, and it still shifts hard in and out of 1st gear. Dealer wont do anything without a service bulletin.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 PM
clacker

I will ask directly to the transmission tech . next time I'll go.

The advisor at the counter was not aware and will never tell you. But the tech. yes.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
jc13

Thanks clacker, I am curious too. I am still having the stuttering issue shifting between 3rd and 4th gear, but only when the trans is cold. Once it warms up, it shifts fine. Seems like the "grabby" kevlar clutches could be the culprit.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Cleek

I have a 2007 3.3. It shifts very crisply "read harshish". when pulling up to a stopsign it tries to shift into first almost at a stop. It is very noticable. Very funny shift coming to a stop. My Ram shifts very smoothly though. Comments?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:55 AM
jc13

The dealership replaced the torque converter on my 2007 Grand Caravan last week. From what I understand, some of the torque converters were bad from the factory and a replacement converter has since been supplied by Chrysler. The van has had the stuttering problem since the day I drove it off the lot and has been getting worse. Chrysler has issued a TSB for the problem, so if you are having shifting problems, you may want to take your van it. They also flashed the TCM on the transmission after replacing the torque converter which updated code. The build date of my van is December 2006. I don't know if the build date is a factor in determining if your van has the faulty torque converter.

I am not sure if the TSB was for the TCM flash or the torque converter problem or applies to both.

Quick Reply: 2007 Grand Caravan Transmission Stuttering