Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan Upgrades - Overhead Console Project plus more

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
ccwicks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan Upgrades - Overhead Console Project plus more

Just completed my 2005 overhead console project. I started with a Grand Caravan with only a plain light overhead and installed a rail system with video and an overhead console with compass, trip, temp, fuel econmy, service miles counter, garage openers, etc. computer. This was an excellent upgrade worth doing for just the overhead console computer.

Tips:

1) I found that there are 2 types of overhead computer displays. An older one that has one line numeric digits (like a calculator) along with some built in display text items.The new type has a dot matrix type display and is capable of mulitple lines - single and double lines, accurate text and graphics (e.g. fuel pump graphic that show how many miles until empty), and nicer fonts and finer detail. Since I have a 2005, the wiring fed the same data to both overhead computers and of course I chose the new model- it's great. I don't know if older vans would support it but it probably is worth trying as it gets the data from the BCM.

2) Other great features not realized - you can use the overhead system to program options. Examples - I can chose to have the hazzard lights go on automatically if the sliding doors are opened. Or, I can choose to have the lights go on when the wipers are turned on. Also, different things like light blink or horn on door lock, driver door lock/unlock only or all doors, etc.

3) In working with the few overhead setups, I was able to configure for my setup. Example - I had an overhead with power sliding doors and rear hatch. I was able to pull the newer computer out and put it into the overhead that only had the garage door and other functions, without the other buttons. The computers were plug and play.

4) I also was able to add the electronic automatic rear view mirror system - this leverages the same wiring upgrage.

5) Oh yeah, the biggest item....wiring!!!! When you remove your simple light overhead, the key question is "To be or not to be". That's the million dollar question. Do you have the appropriate wiring harness in place for the added features? I would check but guess - mine did not - it only had the basic power for the overhead lights. How do you wire it? SECRET 1- the passenger side door pillar (between the sliding door and front passenger door) contains a set of wiring at the bottom base. In the base, there is a rectangular gray block interface - the passenger side has all the goodies - the wiring from the BCM, etc. The sliding door side has the lemon- only a few wires interfaced to power up the lights. In theory, you can simply tap into those wires but I would not recommend it as there are many to keep track of to properly connect to the computer and there's a great chance of burning something out like an expensive BCM...SECRET 2 - where to buy the magic harness...hint, you're not going to find it on EBAY....all the overheads are fairly priced around $25-$50 but the harness is cut at the computer side. You could use the cut piece and customize the wire but again, don't recommend it.....Plus bonus - the replacement harness will give you the feed to the rear view mirror, the overhead computer and power to the sun visors for future lighted mirrors. SECRET 3 - the part number on the harness

6) External temperature sensor. Well....bought one from the dealer for $15 bucks but did not need it as there was one already installed in the car at the bumper..That's wild...Dodge saves money by not installing a full harness to the overhead console (significant difference in wiring by the way - comparing both harnesses - huge difference, but they leave the temperature sensor on the bumper even though it might not be used for an overhead setup. This leaves me to believe that perhaps it is needed for the operating condition of the engine, feeding the BCM or something orit is installedat the assembly line separately before the interior goes in and the decision of wheter the van will be a plain JaneCaravan, Limited, or a Town and Country....Interesting question.

7) Once you have the harness, you replace the existing one by plugging into theblock and running it up the pillar, up to the roof liner. Hint - for easy access and to prevent creasing or destroying your roof liner - remove the sun visor, the visor stop, the plastic windshield post, the rubber around the passenger and sliding door side (easily pulls off and then pushes back in later), the plastic piece near the seat belt holder and finally the little hanger tab near the sliding door. This will free up the roof liner for easy access to run the wire.

8) The other stuff is great as well - 6 DVD changer, video monitorand Navigation System - all plug and play but this is off topic for now.

Advice - this is a great upgrade and got it at a fraction (10%) of the dealer cost but a lot easier tobuy pre-installed. Maybe next time...

Next projectsconsidering:
[ul][*]Center Console[*]Sto N Go seating - just completed...Excellent!!!!! Seems like a difference between leather Sto N Go and regular cloth Sto N Go. Leather would not fit into my bays but the cloth did (my van had cloth but was considering chaning it over to leather)...Also two different cloth colors, one with a tan black pattern and one with a gray black pattern. Also, base plate change is required to change from regular fixed middle bench to pair of sto n go seats. Base replacement is easy.[*]Power sliding doors[*]Fog lights[*]Backup sensors[*]Power rear hatch[*]Addition of radio controls to the steering wheel (located on the back of the steering wheel)[*]Heated seats[*]Rear factory wing - completed. Excellent and looks awesome and cool. Factory color matched. Advice/hint - when making the holes for the wing (using templates provided) do not use a metal drill bit!!!!!! It will make a hole and then will grab and try to go straight through to the other side (AKA the outside of the van). I was really lucky not to screw up on this. Instead, use a drill bit with a stop or a cone shaped drill specifically for drilling into sheet metal - it's a great investment. Also, coat the new holes drilled with paint, nail polish or something to prevent rusting.... P.S. I did break the large drill bit inside the rear hatch where it rolled up and down each time the hatch moved, and yes, probably spent over 1 hour to fish it out, patiently, slowly, argh!!!!!!!!!![*]Front hood spoiler - use the factory one, it fits perfectly, installs easy and looks awesome, especially with the rear wing. [/ul]
Again,in the future, when buying a new van, it might be cheaper overall to negotiate a deal on a fully optioned vechicle vs. trying to retro fit all this stuff...not worth the time committment but gotta admit, it's fun (and frustrating) to do....

Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
dodgeman7
Default RE: Grand Caravan Upgrades - Overhead Console Project plus more

Just a few questions.
How much was the overhead harness to the monitor?
Do you have any pictures of the install?
Did the harness have all the conections to the mirror, overhead console, sun visors and the overhead monitor?
I'm looking to do the same to my 03 GC and want to have everything before I take it apart to install. I already have the monitor, overhead console and lighted sun visors. I just need to see if it's only one harness for all.
Thanks!

[8D]

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
ccwicks
Default RE: Grand Caravan Upgrades - Overhead Console Project plus more

Responses:

1) How much was the overhead harness to the monitor? - This item was a bit pricy on Ebay as those who have it, know it and charge a lot. Around $75 to $125 on Ebay...but if you look around in the junk yards, you will always see the overhead monitors pulled but they never pull the harness - not worth their time in labor cost and a royal pain. This is the key secret. If you call a junkyard, they won't even entertain the question of whether they have any harness (other than maybe a big item like an engine wiring harness) as they make their bucks on the big items - engines, trans, front/rear clips, rims, etc. The key is to find a junk yard by searching the web (cool site that gives you them all in the US, don't have it handy now) for Caravans or T&C in your year range and area- look for a part that would probably indicate that they have the entire van there. That's what I did and hit gold!!!!! I was able to pull the harness myself and get it for under $10.00 !!!!!!! This was for the video harnesss. The other huge harness was $15.00 pluse some scrapes on the hands...

2) Do you have any pictures of the install? - not currently but maybe in the future. Easy though.

3) Did the harness have all the conections to the mirror, overhead console, sun visors and the overhead monitor?There are two in terms of your questions: A) For the trip/sliding doors/compass/temp/fuel/lighted sun visors, tinted rear view mirror, courtesy lights - front, middle and back, etc. is one major harness. This harness connects via a gray rectangular block plug that starts from the bottom piller (post between passenger door and sliding door, at the bottom side of the sliding door). This harness plugs in there and goes up the pillar where it then splits into two paths - one to the middle courtesy and rear lights and the other path across the passenger roof liner where it supplies power to the sun visors, and across to the overhead computer console/lights/rear view mirrow, etc. B) for the video overhead, the wire harness is as follows. First, I added a 6 DVD changer (awesome) on ebay for about $100 to $200. This required a short harness from the radio to the changer. From the DVD changer, there is a major harness which is shielded (this avoids any noise interfernce) and goes from the changer, across the bottom sections of the dash, up the windshield pillar at the passenger side (clips into the metal structure once the plastic molding is pulled) up to the roof liner, across the roof liner to the center middle roof were the Vider monitor is mounted. Key note - there are a couple types of harnesses where one have more wires then the other - the difference is that one (older version) does not transmit sound via the infradred...not a major problem but it limits the use of the head phones and mix sound use (kids watching video and sound while you listent to the NAV or radio). So watch out to get the full, new version of the harness so that the headphone option works. Note - there is also another harness up there that controls the AC settings.

In summary separate harness for the video and separate one for the overhead computer/all accessories. I would check to see if you have the full harness in your roof liner as it would save you a lot of time and $ if it's up there. Mine did not have the full harness, just a gray block with a couple of wires (no wires from the BCM or anything else like the temp feed - but all those wires were on the backside of the block at the pillar, waiting to go but not connected due to other end of the harness) that drove the simple courtesy lights on the no frills center overhead light. To find out, pop out your front center overhead light and inspect the area for any other plugs that are in the vicinitiy like the trip computer plug that would be right there and/or the wire that would go straight toward the windshield to power the tinting rear view mirror.

Hope this helps. Once in, OEM works pretty smooth and is worth the effort.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 PM
wely195

Nice work, I am new in dodge caravan biz but would like to add trip computer to my 2005 caravan SE, i'll check the harness and see if the extra harnes there or not, mine has dvd unit from the dodge but the stock light only.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
sniper69

Sounds like I need to find a junkyard to see if there are some overhead rails/bin to find. It sounds like a neat project to do.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM
wely195

checked my van and couldn't find any extra wiring

Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM
stlrj
Amateur

I just completed the overhead console install on my 03 GC and I found there was no temp sensor on my front bumper or wiring for it either. I had to install the wiring and sensor to make it work. The harness and the plastic mounting plate for the console was removed from a donor in the junk yard.

Cheers,

Joe

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Ambernada

I am upgrading my 08 caravan by adding a REN unit in the dash and overhead console with dvd displays. I have the parts already except for the wiring from the overhead console to the dvd player. I am have an incredibly hard time finding the wiring harness. Can anybody tell me where I can get one or at least what the part number would be? Sorry to jump in on this thread but I can't figure out how to start one.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 PM
toxshox

can't seem to find the 2-way connector tapped back to the radio harness for the dvd player power any suggestions working on a 06 grand caravan

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan Upgrades - Overhead Console Project plus more