Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 PM
angel52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

I have a 1991 Grand Caravan and a 1994 Caravan. Both have 3.3 liter V6 engines with 3 speed automatic transmission. My question is, can I swap the tranny of the 1994 Caravan into the 1991 Grand Caravan? The 1991 is AWD (all wheel drive) but the 1994 is not. Also, does anyone know where I can link to instructions for the removal and replacement of the transmission in a Caravan of the above years? [/align][/align]Thanks for any advice and help. [/align]

Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Transmission question

The awd would not be utilizable as there is no space in the 94 for the driveshaft ue to the placement of the gas tank. Sensors would probably need to be swapped. Basics of the tranny are the same and will bolt up except you'll be elimating the transfer case (which if functional you'd probably get some money for), which will leave you with an opening that a coverplate will need to be found or made for.Haynes gives ok instructions for the removal of trannies. Good Luck

Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

No to all. 1st 1991 3.3 only came with a 4 speed trans, also there is a speed sensor on extenion housing near the drive axle.2nd 1994 there no speed sensor on the extenion housing now it part the output speed sensor.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Ooops...forgot about the speed sensor location for the 91'... A carry over from the prior body generation.(I remember having fun trying to pry mine out). I still think the swap is possible though not straight forward. Would probably be easier to trade the AWD tranny(if it works well) for the proper one at a junk yard. The AWD is probably worth more than a standard one.

Quick Reply: Transmission question