Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Dodge Caravan crappy gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
gwgerny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Caravan crappy gas mileage

Good Evening All,

I have a question concerning my wifes 2006 Caravan concerning gas mileage. Seems like the engine is just chugging gas like there is no tomorrow. A prime example of this is; She put $10 in last night around 7pm and on her way home from work(6miles one way) today her gas light comes on???? This has been going on for awhile now and I came across this forum and thought I could get some help. there are no engine lights on, and no tell tale signs that something is wrong...just crappy gas mileage. I have changed the oil, air filter, tire pressure is good and I need help. Thanks in advance for any help possible.

Gary

Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
jubadah
Default RE: 2006 Dodge Caravan crappy gas mileage

$10 doesn't buy much gas these days. Does she fill the car up or does she run around on empty all of the time? The gas light can be triggered prematurely by hard cornering which sloshes the little remaining gas to one side of the tank.

Do you have any actually milage numbers? You will need to fill the tank at least twice to get these. Both my 2.5L Caravan and 3.3L Grand Caravan get 15-16 mpg in the city. Which isn't that bad considering you are pushing a 4,000 lb box down the road. We get about 25-28 on the highway.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 PM
JoeC1981
Professional

We have an 05 with the 3.8L. We get 18city/25 hwy. combined about 20mpg.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM
vangonebuy
Rookie

I have a 05 Chysler 3.3 T&C. But its mileage is not as good as my old 97 3.3 GC. [18.5]
Most of the time we got 14.5-15.5 mpg around town. Lots of stop/go.
On the highway 24.5 mpg.

A well maintained engine is important.
Run the on board diagnostic test.
Click the ignition on, off 3 times leaving it on after the 3rd.
This give a very good rundown of trouble codes.
Anything broken may still be covered by warranty.

A bad O2 sensor,
Improper inflated tires. --check the door jamb for proper pressure.
Lots of stop & go. --Try to keep it rolling.
Excessive junk in the trunk, --Keep it light.
These can kill your mileage.

I have found the trip computer to be a great teacher. If you have one.
So far the trip computer has taught me to keep the RPM's low. Period!
Approx 2K RPM will allow all 4 gears to shift.

Also, Overdrive is your friend.
If you can get the car into 4th gear, your mileage jumps up.
It kicks in at 38+ mph, But you can slow it down to 32mph before it kicks out.
This works pretty good around town.
It can kicked you up to 17-18 mpg.

Also drive with a light foot. It increases mileage.

I'm all ears for any other idea's.

VanGoneBuy

Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
otar.koraia
Exclamation GAs saving tips on grand caravan

Hi,

I have Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6, 2005 SE for more than a year. when i bought it i was giving me about 10-11 MPG in the city and about 13 -15 MPG on hwy.

I was like most of you guys, thinking that i made a huge mistake. specially if i tell you that i had a Honda Odyssey 2007 17-19MPG before Dodge. BL lathe interior, and fully loaded.

Now my dodge is giving me 18-19 MPG in the city and 22-24 MPG on hwy.

Firs of all you need to do is to get the owners manual and read it.

Make sure that your tire pressure is even and 3.5 in each.

Change air filter when you change your oil (it's only a $6)

Change oil on time (i suggest you to use high quality oil).

regularly (once a month) use complete fuel system cleaner if you use low octane gas (Regular)

and stop using regular gas. get premium. you'll get more miles and car performance will grow 30%.

Do not forget about your spark plugs.

I do about 1200-1500 mails a week, i'm a sales person.

trust me, dodge is the way better than Honda. cheep to maintain, designed easy and business way and the way cheep to bay.

The most important is to realize that Dodge grand caravan is not a sports car, it needs a easy driving technique. if you'll rush you will pay double in gas.

thats it. enjoy your ride.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
mylestone

I own a 97 dodge ram b 2500 van with 3.9 liter and get 10 mpg barely touching the gas pedal! I have full synthetics in engine,trans and rear end,k+n air filter,full tune up and new cat and exhaust.I have done everything but sing to it and still 10 mpg! I found out a dodge has a common problem,I know not what it is that happens at 70,000.Does anyone have an answer to poor mileage in a 3.9 liter engine I don't know about?I know its a 3/4 ton van but 10 mpg?Any help would get my first born! I had a 454 chevy that got 12 mpg!
thanks
Mylestone@comcast.net

Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 PM
birchy
Rookie

Originally Posted by otar.koraia
Hi,

I have Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6, 2005 SE for more than a year. when i bought it i was giving me about 10-11 MPG in the city and about 13 -15 MPG on hwy.

I was like most of you guys, thinking that i made a huge mistake. specially if i tell you that i had a Honda Odyssey 2007 17-19MPG before Dodge. BL lathe interior, and fully loaded.

Now my dodge is giving me 18-19 MPG in the city and 22-24 MPG on hwy.

Firs of all you need to do is to get the owners manual and read it.

Make sure that your tire pressure is even and 3.5 in each.

Change air filter when you change your oil (it's only a $6)

Change oil on time (i suggest you to use high quality oil).

regularly (once a month) use complete fuel system cleaner if you use low octane gas (Regular)

and stop using regular gas. get premium. you'll get more miles and car performance will grow 30%.

Do not forget about your spark plugs.

I do about 1200-1500 mails a week, i'm a sales person.

trust me, dodge is the way better than Honda. cheep to maintain, designed easy and business way and the way cheep to bay.

The most important is to realize that Dodge grand caravan is not a sports car, it needs a easy driving technique. if you'll rush you will pay double in gas.

thats it. enjoy your ride.
Was doing some reading about poor fuel economy and stumbled on this thread.

I personally agree with most everything you said, except for the Premium fuel part. If a vehicle manufacturer calls for regular fuel (87 octane), you gain absolutely no advantage by running premium fuel. There's lots of info out there on this if you do some 'googling'.

Here are a few:

http://www.epinions.com/content_2346164356

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...nd-regular-gas

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...emiumgas_x.htm

Not wanting to start an argument, but I'm definitely curious as to how you came up with that 30% number?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:04 PM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by gwgerny
Good Evening All,

I have a question concerning my wifes 2006 Caravan concerning gas mileage. Seems like the engine is just chugging gas like there is no tomorrow. A prime example of this is; She put $10 in last night around 7pm and on her way home from work(6miles one way) today her gas light comes on???? This has been going on for awhile now and I came across this forum and thought I could get some help. there are no engine lights on, and no tell tale signs that something is wrong...just crappy gas mileage. I have changed the oil, air filter, tire pressure is good and I need help. Thanks in advance for any help possible.

Gary
you method for calculating gas mileage it totally useless!!! $10 that's like 3 gallons. the the light comes on with anywhere around 3-5 gallons in the tank. the ONLY way to truly determine fuel mileage is fill the tank record miles, fill again and calculate.

the fuel gauge is nothing more than an approximation!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

gwgerny
Welcome to DF
I don't know how much gas is where you live,But here its $3.30 a gallon. Like eveyone else. To calculate your mileage,you need to fill up with two of gas and then avg out your mileage. Also ck the tire pressure and keep an eye on the air filter.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 AM
mylestone
Default Gas Milage??????

I own a 97 dodge B2500 van with V-6 3.9. I Expected more than 9MPG being a 6cyl but forget it.I didn't think a 3. 9 in a 3/4 ton truck would get 40Mpg but 9-10 mpg is NOT what I expected especially not having a lead foot!But after changing to 5-30 mobile one,K+N air filter,Total tune up.Trans adjustment.Synthetic rear end fluid!.New fuel pump and filter($249).Turbo exhaust system change!The works!!! yet I get no more than 10MPG NOW!! So the motor is in great shape it just gets 10MPG ,FACT,The real world MPG numbers!!!! If you find a magnet or 100 MPH carb or 100 TBI system that does as it claims to actually works e-mail me Immediately!!Till then live in the real world and take the 10MPG reality and a pain in the as-!!!!!!
Mylestone

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Caravan crappy gas mileage