Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Driver side sliding door not opening

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
nikov2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side sliding door not opening

I got the inside panel off and it seems like everything is ok in there. still the sliding door only pops out a wee bit, when you look at it from the outside you can see the pin is being stopped by something. maybe the actual latch is not opening all the way. maybe not... anyone resolved this problem before?
any and all help appreciated thanks.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: Driver side sliding door not opening

make sure your gas cap is closed.. if the fuel door is open.. the drivers side sliding door will NOT open... its a safeguard.. so u dont take it off with the door.. if it is closed.. take the inside panel off not the door panel.. the inside panel in the van.. look for the mechanism that locks it shut from the gas cap to the door.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
nikov2

Dishdude, good call there, I opened it up ans saw the rod coming from the gas cap attached to a lever going to the door. actually got in there with a tool and moved it, it flapped the gas door open and closed so I'm sure this is the device. beyond that I never got, sliding door still does not open. also there isn't enough space to REALLY SEE what's going on there, so I took some pics enclosed here...I hope.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM
nikov2

2 pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/79215/1F9C9974745A4BEF9C3F1418D7EFEBF9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/79215/9BCB421758624029A0B28EF066FBF81A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

well .. if you were able to find that.. i would follow it where it connects to the door.. and follow that mechanism.. it could be busted off.. as you can see in those pics.. its all about plastic brackets that hold it all together.. my guess.. is one of them broke.. but its going to be between where that rod holds on to the door.. and the door latch itself..

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
nikov2

well Dishdude there appears to be only one yellow plastic connector that allows the rod from the gas door to stay attached to the black safety lever. it's in good condition, or at least is working. the lever can be moved with a long tool and it opens the gas door from the compartment where all this is located, it also closes the gas door from here as well. when checked from the outside it performs the same function, open gas door pulls the lever into safety. closed it pushes the lever to off...but nothing happens to the lock, it still will not open. could be there is something that rotates at the bottom of the lever? something that is connected to something electrical? a switch perhaps? a cable? wild guesses here. figure the pics might help someone later down the road, I closed it up in frustration but I'd be glad to open it all back up again for a sure cure, thanks for your input and help Dishdude

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

there has to be something going from that point to the door latch mechanism to prevent it from opening while the tank door is open.. i will go check mine out later.. and take some pics.. and post them for you.. taking the door panel off cant be that hard (knock on wood)

Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

ok i was checking mine out... the cable that actually goes from the point your showing.. to the latch mechanism.. is on the BOTTOM of the door.. the latch mechanism is actually at the front of the door.. it looks like you might be able to take the inside pillar panel off.. (between the front door and the sliding door by the seatbelt) and might be able to manually kick the latch off.. then be able to check it out with the door open.. thats how mine is anyhow.. good luck

Quick Reply: Driver side sliding door not opening