Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Engine drop on a 97 caravan - need advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
mrsats
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine drop on a 97 caravan - need advice please?

Ok I am pretty mechanical, done more rebuilds than I can remember, however I picked up 97 caravan, immaculant shape, little high milage at 281,000 km, and pissing oil all over the driveway and the engine (looks to be primarily the front main with possible other seals), but for $600 can't complain. Compared to my 01 dodge ram, this little 3 liter side plant is tight in there, not much room to work. The last 2.2L dodge van had more room, but I said I would never spend hours on end fiddling around with seperating the engine and trainy in the vehicle, especially a side plant... next one I would just drop the whole thing and walk the van back leaving the motor and drive train on the floor with all the room in the world to work.

So I have heard of people doing this (they say it is fast and easy, a couple hours) and what the dealers do when they need to work on the engine/tranny, but I cant find any info on the site on how this is done. Any info, advice or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
mrsats
Default RE: Engine drop on a 97 caravan - need advice please?

hmmm... given the overwhelming response... I take it this is not a common solution.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: Engine drop on a 97 caravan - need advice please?

when they first came out with front wheel drives alot of times they would just drop the K frame from underneath the car using a hoist and a dolly but now they have figured out better ways to do it

Quick Reply: Engine drop on a 97 caravan - need advice please?