Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

PS Shudder - TSB 19-006-05

Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
robert213
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Shudder - TSB 19-006-05

I recently acquired a 2003 Dodge Caravan, 3.8L V6, with 101K miles. I am experiencing vibration in steering wheel while making tight 90-degree turns in and out of parking places. The problem occurs most often while vehicle is driven at speeds below 10 mph.

My mechanicwould like to perform the work described inTSB 19-006-05.

My question - Didthis TSB resolve this problem for other Caravan owners who have hadpower steering shudder?

I would like to hear any or all comments about this annoying problem.

Details on TSB 19-006-05...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Rep...ge-caravan.htm

Question
The steering wheel vibrates when you turn the wheel with vehicle not moving.

Answer
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 19-004-03, DATED AUGUST 29,
2003, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE
REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
Steering Shudder
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing one of the two power steering cooler hoses with a new
longer power steering hose and if necessary, installing a fin packed power steering cooler.
MODELS:
2001 - 2005 (RS) Town & Country, Caravan, Voyager
2001 - 2005 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to right hand and left hand drive vehicles equipped with
a 3.3L or 3.8L engine (sales code EGA, EGM, EGH) built on or before
December 8, 2004 (MDH 1208XX)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A shudder (vibration) is felt inside the vehicle while turning the steering wheel at idle or
during low speeds such as a parking lot maneuver. The shudder may be felt in the steering
wheel, seat, and/or body.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Verify the condition: - Perform stationary turns and/or low speed turns in drive and
reverse. Perform the evaluation with the A/C in the on and off position. Is steering
shudder detected?
a. Yes >> Go to Step #2.
b. No >> Further diagnosis is needed, this bulletin does not apply.
2. Inspect for the presence of a power steering finned cooler. Is a finned cooler
present?
a. Yes >> Go to ā€œReplace Power Steering Hose - Step #1ā€.
b. No. >> Go to ā€œInstall Finned Cooler - Step #1ā€.
NUMBER: 19-006-05
GROUP: Steering
DATE: August 4, 2005
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
AR 05135964AA 11/32" Hose, Bulk Power Steering Return
Vehicles built on or before September 13, 2004
(MDH 0913XX)
One roll will service multiple vehicles
AR 04364392 5/8" or 11/16" Convolute Tubing
Vehicles built on or before September 13, 2004
(MDH 0913XX)
One roll will service multiple vehicles
AR (1) 04743473AE Line, Power Steering Return, With Cooler
AR
(2 Straps)
(Package of 50 straps)
Tie Strap, Cable Tie
One package will service multiple vehicles
AR 05166226AA Fluid, Power Steering (MS9602)
INSTALL FINNED COOLER:
CAUTION: Throughout the following procedure, special care should be taken to
prevent introducing contamination into the power steering system.
1. Open the hood.
2. Remove the cap from the power steering fluid reservoir.
3. Using a siphon pump/suction gun, remove as much power steering fluid as possible
from the power steering fluid reservoir.
4. Remove and save the constant tension spring clamp securing the power steering
return line hose to the power steering fluid reservoir.
5. Remove the rubber hose portion of the power steering return line from the power
steering fluid reservoir fitting.
6. Drain the power steering fluid reservoir into an appropriate container.
NOTE: This fluid should not be reused to avoid introducing contamination from the
container.
7. Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
8. Remove the fuel vapor canister.
9. Locate the bracket connecting the power steering return line cooler loop to the cradle
reinforcement plate (Fig. 1).
19-006-05 -2-
Fig. 1 POWER STEERING COOLER LOOP
1 - SUSPENSION CRADLE 5 - COOLER LOOP MOUNTING FASTENERS (SAVE FOR
FINNED COOLER INSTALLATION)
2 - J/U NUT CLIP (DISCARD) 6 - PRESSURE LINE
3 - CRADLE REINFORCEMENT PLATE 7 - COOLER LOOP (DISCARD)
4 - FUEL VAPOR CANISTER 8 - SWAY BAR
10. Remove the fasteners connecting the cooler line to the reinforcement plate. Save the
fasteners for use in Step #17.
11. Locate the bracket connecting the power steering pressure line to the cradle
reinforcement plate (Fig. 1).
12. Remove the fastener connecting the bracket to the reinforcement plate. Save the
fastener for use in Step #18.
13. Remove and discard the J/U nut clip on the bracket.
14. Locate and unscrew the tube nut connecting the power steering return line to the
steering gear pinion housing.
NOTE: The tube nut will remain loosely assembled to the power steering return line.
15. Drain the remaining fluid into an appropriate container and discard the loop cooler line
that was removed from the vehicle.
NOTE: This fluid should not be reused to avoid introducing contamination from the
container.
16. Install the new power steering return line, p/n 04743473AE. Attach the power steering
return line tube nut to the steering gear pinion housing and tighten to 27.1 - 35.0 NĀ·m
(240 - 310 in. lbs.).
17. Reuse the fastener removed in Step #10. Install the fastener into the left weld nut on
the cooler fin pack bracket and the left hole in the cradle reinforcement plate. Tighten
the fastener to 9 - 11.3 NĀ·m (80-100 in. lbs.) (Fig. 2).
-3- 19-006-05
Fig. 2 POWER STEERING FINNED COOLER
1 - FINNED COOLER FASTENERS (INSTALLED POINTING UPWARD)
2 - SWING THE PRESSURE LINE CLAMP BACK INTO POSITION WITHOUT THE J/U NUT
3 - FINNED COOLER
18. Line up the pressure line bracket and the right weld nut in the cooler fin pack bracket.
Reuse the fastener removed in Step #12. Install the fastener through the right hole in
the cradle reinforcement plate, the fin pack bracket and the pressure line bracket.
Tighten the fastener to 9 - 11.3 NĀ·m (80-100 in. lbs.) (Fig. 2).
19. Install the fuel vapor canister.
20. Lower the vehicle.
21. Install the constant tension spring clamp removed in Step #4 onto the rubber hose on
the power steering return line. Slide the clamp so that it is 3 inches from the end of the
rubber hose.
22. Push the end of the rubber hose portion of the power steering return line onto the
power steering fluid reservoir suction port. Secure the hose by sliding the constant
spring tension clamp installed on the hose in the last step, to within 6 mm (0.25 in.) of
the end of the rubber hose. Be sure the hose clamp is installed past the bead on
fluid reservoir fitting.
23. Check the vehicle production date. Was the vehicle built on or before September
13, 2004 (MDH 091344XX)?
a. Yes >> Go to ā€œReplace Power Steering Hose - Step #1ā€.
b. No >> Go to ā€œSteering/Pump - Standard Procedure - Step #1ā€.
19-006-05 -4-
REPLACE POWER STEERING HOSE:
1. Cut 850 mm (33.5 in.) of power steering hose (p/n 05135964AA) or equivalent.
2. Cut 790 mm (31 in.) of 15.9mm (5/8 in.) or 17.5 mm (11/16 in.) convolute tubing. Place
the convolute tubing around the power steering hose.
3. Open hood and remove the power steering reservoir cap.
4. Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
5. Locate the power steering cooler attached to the crossmember support. Remove the
forward (closest to front of vehicle) hose from the cooler and tube. Drain the power
steering fluid in an appropriate container.
6. Remove the two tension clamps from the removed hose and install on the new power
steering return hose.
7. Install the new hose and tension clamp onto the power steering cooler.
8. Wrap the hose clockwise around the perimeter and on top of the power steering cooler
as shown in (Fig. 3). Install the hose and tension clamp to the power steering return
tube.
Fig. 3 HOSE ROUTING - STANDARD COOLER ON LEFT, H/D COOLER ON RIGHT
1 - COOLER RETURN TUBE (CLOSEST TO FRONT OF
VEHICLE)
4 - TIE STRAP LOCATIONS
2 - RETURN TUBE TO RESERVOIR 5 - POWER STEERING COOLER
3 - CROSSMEMBER SUPPORT 6 - POWER STEERING COOLER HOSE (ROUTE CLOCKWISE)
9. Use two tie straps to strap the return hose to the power steering cooler and pressure
steering hose shown in (Fig. 3).
10. Lower vehicle and open hood.
11. Proceed to ā€œSteering/Pump - Standard Procedureā€.
-5- 19-006-05
STEERING/PUMP - STANDARD PROCEDURE
WARNING:FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED AND ADJUSTED WITH ENGINE
OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING ENGINE COMPONENTS.
CAUTION: Use only MoparĀ® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid (MS-9602) in
power steering system. Use of other MoparĀ® power steering fluids
(MS5931 and MS9933) should be avoided to ensure peak performance of
the power steering system under all operating conditions. Do not overfill.
Read the fluid level through the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. The fluid level
should be within ā€œFILL RANGEā€ when the fluid is at a temperature of approximately 21Ā°C
to 27Ā°C (70Ā°F to 80Ā°F).
1. Wipe the filler cap and area clean, then remove the cap.
2. Fill the fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two (2)
minutes.
3. Start the engine and let run for a few seconds, then turn the engine off.
4. Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above steps until the fluid level remains constant
after running the engine.
5. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
6. Start the engine.
7. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
8. Add fluid if necessary.
9. Lower the vehicle, then turn the steering wheel slowly from lock-to-lock.
10. Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
11. If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stabilize a few minutes, then repeat
the above procedure.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: PS Shudder - TSB 19-006-05

Here is a trick, get a small amount of friction modifier from mopar or a small amount of 75/90 gear oil. You only need a tablespoon and mix it with your p/s fluid.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
robert213

Thought #1 - I have a theory that the source of the problem is mixing generic power steering fluid with ATF+4. The owner's manual recommends OEM Mopar ATF+4. The problem starts whenone of those quick oil change shops top off power steering reserve with generic power steering fluid.

Thought #2 - In my case, I simply slightly overfilled power steering reserve with ATF+4 -- and the problem disappeared.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie

yes you only want atf+4. the issue with the TSB is that the old design of the cooler and lines is that there is air pockets that form that cause the shutter in the rack. I would do the TSB and see where that gets you.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Mullins

I have performed this TSB many times with positive results.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
reborn55

I have had the TSB done on my 02 Grand Caravan and couple of weeks ago one of the short ps hoses ruptured down by the cooler. relaced the hose with Chrysler OEM and readded new Chrysler fluid and now I have the shudder problem. Any ideas. Thanks

Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
TJeepman
Professional

This is an old Thread, but does the tablespoon of friction modifier or gear oil (mentioned by master tech above) still apply to get rid of the shutter? I have some Quaker State 75W-140 synthetic gear lube (for my Jeep) that I would like to try in my 2002 GC Sport, 3.3L's power steering to get rid of a warm weather shutter (not so bad in cold weather or low tire pressures, something to do with the friction between the tires and the pavement during parking type maneuvers).

Here's the product: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f250/...ar-oil-771851/
This product contains special additives to:
• Reduce bearing and gear distress under extreme operating conditions
• Protect at both high and low temperature extremes
• Resist oxidation to retard deposit formation
• Guard against “chatter” in limited slip axles
• Protect against rust and corrosion
• Minimize foaming

Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Bump - the above Post. Looking for a response from master tech or someone else "in the know".

Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJeepman
Bump - the above Post. Looking for a response from master tech or someone else "in the know".

...or send him a private message.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
eclauderdale
Default Caravan like my town and Country with Power Steering shudder, etc

You might be interested in this, because my 2001 3.8L T&C minivan HAD similar problems. Have had the shudder, whineespecially when cold, leaking rack andpinion and hose blowing off thereservoir. Also had lot of sediment in reservoir.

Here’s the history:

First got a whine about 6-8 months ago while the car wascold on a trip to Colorado. Fluid waslow so I topped it up. (Mine is Windsor and everything I could find by date ofmanufacture said power steering fluid, not atf 4, which I use in the tranny. Occasionally had shudder turning. Readthe TSB and installed the extra hose in series with the factory oil cooler.

Seemed to be fine, though family members felt shudder whenturning, so I kept an eye on it. 2months ago, saw fluid dripping down from the driver side brake caliper/steeringknuckle. At first thought it was brakefluid, but looked closely to see it was leaking from the boot at the end of thesteering rod, down to the knuckle. Twoweeks ago got a reman rack and pinion and installed it. Installed recommended filter in line toreturn fluid to the reservoir. Cleaned the reservoir with solvent and air untilit looked clean on the mesh screen. Everythingworked fine, but still occasionally got the shudder. Then, family member was driving and said theywere in a left turn when steering lost all power boost and system immediatelydumped all the fluid.

Drove it home with no power steering (with following car tocheck for smoke, etc) and found one of the lines I had connected on the oilcooler had blown loose. Thought I had aweak spring on the spring hose clamp, so I added a normal hose clamp. Then filled the system according to theinitial bleeding procedure, where you add fluid and turn steering wheel back andforth with the engine OFF. Removed thefilter because I thought that mightbe contributing to the problem. Everything seemed normal until I was turningthe wheel to the left and felt it drag before reaching the stop. Forced it a bit and pop, the return hosepopped off the reservoir. Now I think I mightnot have cleaned the reservoir well enough or it had some kind ofrestriction. While looking around, Ifound a nickel or stainless “bullet”shaped orifice which looked like it had a “grommet” in one end laying onthe floor next to the van.

Well, this turned out to be the restrictor orifice which I’ve read is in place to preventwhine. It is installed in the returnline to the reservoir. Looked closely atthe “grommet” and determined that it was actually a piece of rolled uprubber. Which had become increasinglyforced into the restrictor orifice, by now nearly completely shutting off flowback to the reservoir! By the way, theorifice is tapered with the larger diameter orifice as the input and smallerdiameter on the reservoir side (output). Determined this because the rubber piece would only fit in one end.

Would not have found my problem if the bullet orifice had notbeen forced out of the hose AND I found it. So this is why, in my opinion changing the hose may fix a shudder orwhine problem. Most sources said the bullet orifice would be held in placewith a hose clamp, but I did not find this to be the case. Reinstalled the hose with orifice pushed backin the hose and everything is fine nowJ. This is a long post but thought it might be useful.

I would check out the orifice in the return line...

2001 Chrysler minivan, 3.8L lxi, 135,000 miles great roadtrip suv. Fixed the sliding door and rebuilt the tranny at 80,000

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PS Shudder - TSB 19-006-05