Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Roof Rack Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 AM
thedave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Roof Rack Question

Hi there,

can someone give me some input on how the roof racks are connected to the vehicle on a 97 caravan? also, what other years have racks that are interchangeable with the 97?

I just purchased the vehicle without racks, but with the channels there, covered by rubber. a call to the dealer reported that they'd happily install racks for me for very little money. however, the parts department told me that the racks are no longer available.

i found a wrecking yard that claims to have a 97 caravan with racks in decent shape that they'll sell me for 35 bucks if i pull them. i found another post stating that it's some torx bolts holding it on. my real question has to do with getting the racks onto my vehicle. the guy at dodge said there's drilling involved and that it needs to be exact. what exactly would i be drilling into (obviously the roof of the van, but what under there? the inside of the van? a "rack holder base"? a big metal block of some sort?)? would drilling this out mean that i'm inviting the rain into the vehicle?

when i called back, the service guy said they usually come with some sort of template to facilitate the drilling, and he didn't seem too keen on the project. he said he needed to do some research, took down my number, and hasn't gotten back to me.

any advice would be appreciated (even if it's "forget the factory racks and go with yakima/thule").

thanks,

dave.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 AM
coopab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: 97 Roof Rack Question

I just purchased the vehicle without racks, but with the channels there, covered by rubber. a call to the dealer reported that they'd happily install racks for me for very little money. however, the parts department told me that the racks are no longer available.

First off, on my 2003 GC that black strip (channel?) is not part of the roof rack. I believe it's just part of the drainage system for the rain and snow melt on the roof. I looked at a roof rack on a JY minivan and the rack is installed in a different location than the black strip.

Second, after investigating this subject I have ALMOST come to the conclusion that it would be necessary to drill six holes (for rack from a matching year...mine it '03) and that it would be necessary to secure the bolts on the inside which would in turn require either removing and reinstalling the headliner...or using a hole saw to cut small circles in the headliner where the bolts would come through. After installing the rack and making sure it is weathertight, the circles cut out by the hole saw could be glued back into the roof rack to (approximately) restore the original appearance of the headliner.

Third, before I go ahead and do this mod I plan to visit the pull-a-part JY where I just got a set of middle row buckets sears and remove a roof rack to see how the original installation works. I'm guessing there's a blind nut welded to the inside of the roof. That way there would be no need to cut the headliner. The rack itself should be a good template for drilling the six holes that would be needed but it would be prudent to cut the headliner circles before drilling into the roof since that would preserve the interior appearance. Or I could just cut out six replacement headliner circles from a JY headliner at the same time I get the rack.

Fourth, Here's a quote from an aftermarket roof rack sold online:
NOTE: This rack is not designed to mount to
pre-existing car roof mounting points. This roof
rack requires drilling to attach to vehicle roof.

Probably would be a good idea to try to get a pdf of the instructions for drilling and installing an aftermarket rack before starting this mod. Based on the prices for aftermarket racks, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to pull an OEM rack at a JY.

I say ALMOST because drilling into the roof is a project one undertakes with the understanding that there's definitely a risk of creating a leak. Many moons ago I did so on a VW microbus. I cut a large rectangular section out and installed the foldup roof/tent/bunk and it had no problems. Also I drive a GMC Safari van at work and it had a roof rack that was removed and the hole don't leak. Just a nut and bolt with rubber strip to prevent leakage.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have never done this, don't because if you make any mistakes the roof with have to be replaced. Along with the headliner.

Quick Reply: 97 Roof Rack Question