Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission problems

Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 AM
goofydaddy12000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

i own a 96 dodge grand caravan the problem i am having is it seems like the transmision is not shifting into any gears.while driving if i accelerate the rpms go up but it dont seem to up shift or down shift. fr ex i also own a 97 nissan pathfinder and when it shift to a higher gears the rpms go down .but the dodge doesn't do that what could be the problems if anyone could get back to me soon on this problem it would be graetly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: transmission problems

I replaced a $20 sensor and the same problem went away.
This part has been upgraded from the old original part and has a stronger magnet and will probably cost $50.I got mine at the old price because of a pricing mistake I think.

It's an input speed sensor and it sets right on top of the transmission under the battery tray.You'll need a one inch wrench to remove and replace (R&R) the part.

I'd buy a $20 shop manual at an auto parts store to use for a reference.Having any codes read could come in handy just in case this isn't the problem.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
lipsofscarlett

What was the name of the sensor you replace on the Dodge Caravan that cost $20 that fixed the tranny to make it shift. Im having the same problem as the guy that asked the question.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There two sensors, input and output turbine speed sensors. But you will need to pull codes to be sure,that all it is, because it could be something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission problems