Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

It's a Drip...

Old 01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
alwayslearning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's a Drip...

Hello!

I'm not sure what is exactly going on... But I'll start from the beginning. I drive a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE.

In about September of 2007 I noticed the passenger side floorboard was always wet. I never saw anything dripping or get spilled, but it just had a constant moisture - and I kind of shrugged it off. It'll dry. In the beginning of December I was on my way to work, and my van started to overheat. After work, I went to my parent's house, and checked my radiator fluid, and it was low. I filled it up, and about two weeks later -- same problem. I had picked up some 'stop leak' (A powder you dump into the radiator, fill it up, and let it run for 15 minutes or so.) Everything was pretty good from then on, until last week.

We had some pretty serious rain overnight, and I had to work the next morning. As I was headed to work, I didn't see the road was washed out ahead and I went into it full speed. I could feel the water kicking up hard under the vehicle, and it almost felt like I hit a wall. My van was running fine the rest of the way to work, so I don't think that really did any damage. After work though, I got in and my heater was still in the 'on' position, blowing air when I turned the vehicle on. It sounded 'wet' and I reached over and turned it off - and that's when a bunch of water seemed to just POUR out of the underside of my glove box. I didn't know what to think, and I wondered if it was just water from where I tried to take my van for a swim that morning. It also did not smell like radiator fluid, but on my way home my 'Check Engine' light had come on, and my van was overheating. I checked the radiator, and the oil. The oil was about a quart low and my radiator was bone dry. I got them both filled up, and the 'Check Engine' light turned off on it's own. Two days later though, I was overheating again, and totally out of coolant again. I have put coolant into it and let it run to try and see where it could be leaking, but I find nothing even if it runs for 45 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? I would appreciate the help!

Ney

Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: It's a Drip...

You either have a heater core leaking or a plug drain tube for the A/C.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
jubadah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's a Drip...

It sounds like you have two separate problems.

The first one water leaking on the passenger floor. Since you stated that you did not have any coolant loss and it did not smell like coolant. This was probably due to the drain hose for the wiper transmission tray being plugged with leaf debris. This causes excess moisture to be ingested in the heater system which condenses and drains from the heater housing on to the passenger floor. Take the wipers and wiper cowl apron off and run a coat hanger or something down the drain tube to make sure it is clear.

The next problem you have causing your coolant loss is prbably due to a failed head gasket or cracked head. Your coolant is being ingested by the engine and burned up in the cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's a Drip...