Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2007 GC SXT... gear ratio ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Driver72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GC SXT... gear ratio ??

Hello all, first post here, long time forum member/user on other forums.

I currently have a 05 GC SE Plus that I use for "work" duty pretty much.
It has 54K miles on it and has treated me well.
The only single issue that I've had with it was the desire for a bit more power, especially when going up hills.
I am going to upgrade in the coming weeks to the
2007 SXT with the 3.8 liter for the additional power. I know the SXT weighs 156 lbs more, so when doing the math it's not really 30 hp more, but equal to about 20 hp more.
Not very significant but hey anything will help.
I drove the SXT and as the numbers suggest, it feels a bit snappier, but surely not a major difference just a bit stronger.

Then while researching a bit I noticed that the 3.3 liter uses a 4 speed auto with a 3.62 final drive ratio.
The SXT with the 3.8 liter uses a 4 speed auto with a 3.46 final drive ratio.

So the 3.3 actually has a more aggressive final drive ratio too. So if the transmission is the same and the gearing is the same, the SXT with a less aggressive gear ratio now has what would be equivalent to only about 15 hp more than the 3.3 liter van.

So my questions:

1. What are the gear ratios of the SE and SXT's 4 speed auto
2. If they are the same, is it possible (and cost effective) to put the 3.62 final drive of the 3.3 into the 3.8's rear to give it a bit more acceleration.

BTW, I live in a moderately hilly area and carry some passengers and gear that can total 500-600 lbs inside.
I know other minivans offer more power, but the Dodge GC is best suited to my needs in every other respect, has the most usable cargo space, and is priced much lower than the others for a 1 year old used van.

Thanks all.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Driver72
Default RE: 2007 GC SXT... gear ratio ??

Anybody?

I noticed the SXT with the taller gearing (3.46) runs about 150 or so rpms less at 80 mph than the slightly more aggressively geared (3.62) non-SXT models.

I know Dodge did that to give the heavier, larger engined SXT gas mileage close to the SE models, but I'd give up 1 more mpg to get a bit more snappy acceleration out of the SXT and make use of the 3.8 liters extra power a bit more.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM
ghlkal

great questions BTW ... I don't have the answers, but I'm intersted in this thread ...

Old 03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Driver72

Guess I'll have to contact a Dodge dealer or S.A.

Quick Reply: 2007 GC SXT... gear ratio ??