Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM
PAUL T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Caravan Transmission Problem

My sister has a 2002 Dodge Caravan with 109,000 miles. The check engine light came on the other day and I had her take it to Advance to have the codes pulled. Well, she could not remember the exact code, but they told her it was a "transmission control system malfunction". Well that really narrowed it down for me [:@]. Anyway they turned the light off and the next day it came on again and ignored it until it just quit moving. I got involved today and checked the tranny fluid level and it was good. It was a little reddish brown but not as bad asI have seen and did not taste or smell burnt. Then while the engine was at idle I heard what sounded like a hive of bees coming from the transmission area on the drivers side. We managed todriveit to a better areabut it would not move as long as the sound came from the transmission. Ihave not owned any Dodge vehicles (mostly Fords, GM, and Cadillac's) so I am inthe dark when it comes to this.

1.) Has anyone experienced this problem before?

2.) What does it take to fix?

3.) What does it generally cost to fix.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 AM
PAUL T
Default RE: 2002 Caravan Transmission Problem

On an additional note. My sister ran over some road debris and had just had the drivers strut and the gas tank replaced. Would a damaged solenoid pack cause the symptoms above?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 AM
PAUL T

Can anyone recommend a good forum where you can get your Dodge questions answered? Thanks to the 32 or so readers that looked at the thread. It would be nice to get a response, right or wrong. Did I create a thread during the time when the techs are on vacation? Come on guys!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If your sister had ran over something, then you may have a leak and no fluid on the stick. Since you didn't have any codes or do you. You may have had a P0700 code to start with, telling you that there is a problem in the EATX controller. Other codes could have been P0731, P1684, and P0944 loss of prime code. But until there is more information the techs may not be able to help. You could also have a broken axle too. Just so you know, not everyone is a service tech on the this site.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 AM
PAUL T

In my first post I stated that I checked the transmission fluid by vision and taste and the level was O.K.. So lets, rule out a leak. As far as the code, I am going to assume it is P0700 because they told herthere was only one code, "transmission control system malfunction". What does this mean? The buzzing noise is something that comes and goes as the vehicle is idling in park. I found out that during the buzzing when the van is in gear it will not move. When the buzzing stops transmission jerks into gear and goes until it starts buzzing again. The buzzing sounds like the gears are not meshing together, it does not sound good. Could the controller cause this condition or would it be the shift solenoids? I understand the need for more information, but this isall I have at this time. On my Cadillacs I would have been able to give you the exactcode and would have known where to look and fix it due to the on-board Diagnostics and the help from my friends on Caddyinfo.com forum, butas I said before Ihave a limited knowlege of adodge but I want to understand. As far as a broken axle, wouldthat just not let one wheel drive the van? Tell me what you want to know? Where is the EATX controller and could it have been hit? What can I do to fix this? All I am asking for is a little communication?

I am notnessarily looking for a tech, just someone who may have had the same experience.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Your eatx is also part of the NGC controller. You'll need a scanner to pull codes out the transmission module side of the NGC controller. The controller is inside the driver side fender near the front bumper.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 PM
bozzoswald

the noise you hear is air in the trans pump. this is why it wont move when you hear the buzzing. you said you checked the fluid so next would be replace the filter. and make shure there isnt **** in there. if you see nothing wrong and the filter doesnt fix it you need a new pump

yes i am a dealer tech-thank you for being patient

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan Transmission Problem