Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Crankshaft Sensor Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
angrysmileyface
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Sensor Woes

Recently got a 1997 Grand Caravan with approximately 160k on the ODO. Drove it 600 miles home, and soon began experiancing the engine cutting out and dying, but restarting aftwards. Pulled the codes got the one describing intermittant Crankshaft and camshaft sensor problems. Replaced the camsensor with no problems, but the issue still didnt go away. Started to replace the crank sensor and it broke in half. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to remove it? Its supposed to slide in and out, however the stinking thing is stuck good. Its been suggested to cut a slot in the sensor and use a screwdriver to spin it. Has anyone done this, or know a better way to get the thing out. The engine is a 3.8L and the van does have AWD. Im not sure why the engineers put thesensor on the poor side of the transmission, but lemme say I am not really impressed with the accessibility of any of the pieces on that motor.

I appreciate any and all help.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
chopper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crankshaft Sensor Woes

You're probably on the right track since the sensor was probably cracked and causing the problem.

Removing it is another thing in itself.
I'm just looking at a picture in a Haynes manual for a '84-'95 so this might not help.If you can get access with a small drill can it be drilled out? Maybe a right angle drill head?How about drilling into it and using a hex head self-tapping screw and extracting it that way? Cuttinga slot and trying to turn it out might be the best way (only way) to get this thing out without pulling the engine.Can you get more room to work by loosening the engine mounts?
My van isn't here soI can't go out and see for myself but it looks like a major pain to do any of the things I've mentioned.

I just thought of this one.Can you spray the sensor with carb cleaner? If so give it a good dousing and wait awhile,this might loosen the carbon orwhatever else is holding the sensor in place.I figure an O-ring(s) is used to seal the sensor in position so it could have bonded with the walls of the hole.The carb cleaner could help out here as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM
angrysmileyface
Professional

I am not sure carb cleaner will work as its mounted to the transmission and not exposed to any combustable areas. But it sounds like a possible solution

Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
angrysmileyface
Professional

Well its out now. A friend and I took out the battery + tray, removed the heater line and used a dremel tool on it owrking with a mirror. I started with a triangurlar bit until I got down to the magnet inside and then used a drill bit to irradicate the rest of the casing until it slid free. This drilling required about 2 hours. Sensor is now replaced, just need to button up the heater line and the such. Lemme tell you, if the thing breaks it sucks a lot. The engineers put it on the side not facing the cabin and not the front. IE little space and a lot of bending over.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Sensor Woes