Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

95 Caravan Transmission Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 AM
fastguy6921
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Caravan Transmission Bearing

Hey guys. I'm working on a caravan for a buddy of mine who doesn't have a lot of cash. The van sometimes grabs and jerks when moving at slow speeds and higher speeds mostly when turning corners or in a curve. My first suspicion was either cv shaft or wheel bearing on the front. When grabbing the cv shaft and moving it, I noticed that the end going in to the tranny on the drivers side had alot of play in it. Is there a bearing just on the inside of the case that could go bad and is fairly easy to replace? It looks like there might be a retainer plate with bolts holding one in, but I want to be sure before I start taking stuff apart and costing him even more that what it already is going to. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 95 Caravan Transmission Bearing

Is the transmission a 3speed or 4 speed? Yes there are bearings on inside the case.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
fastguy6921

I believe it is a 3 speed but I could be wrong, I don't have it here right now. Is there a difference between the two as far as the bearing goes? Also, do these bearings tend to go outand how hard is it to replace? I know very little about trannys. Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
fastguy6921

I also have been trying to track down a miss on this van w/ 3.0L.In parkAt idle it sounds like it is missing but when I step on the gas it seems to come out of it. When you put it in gear it wants to die....alot until you step on the gas. I replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and found a leaking fuel line fitting on the hose from the tank. I sured up the leaking line but the problem persists. Could this possibly be a vacum leak? Where would I Look?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You could have a dirty ais motor, egr and maybe a vaccum leak. Back to the trans. are the axle seal leaking? If they are leaking, then the side bearing and cups will need to be replaced. The diff in the 3 speed vs 4 speed, on the 3 speed when the side bearing go bad the metal goes to the govneror and causes the valve to stick. meaningno up shift or down shift. but the 4 speed does not have a govneror but does have a solenoid pack.

Quick Reply: 95 Caravan Transmission Bearing