Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

unidentified 92 caravan trans part

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:22 AM
scavengerdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unidentified 92 caravan trans part

a friend of mine took out the trans in his 92 caravan because the shift arm was stuck. with no prior experience, he dissassembled it, freed up the shift shaft, and is re-assembling it. however.... a piece fell out that he did not see where is came from (possibly near the shift shaft as it fell out as the shift shaft freed up) i have more pix if someone has any ideas? i have a fairly good mechanical background, but wasn't there when this all transpired and haven't done internal auto trans work for a couple of decades. he is re-installing it in the meantime, as we figure the part can be put back in with the trans in the car.... the part is approx 1/2 X 3/4 in and about 1/16 thick. seems to be a retainer or spring of some sort.

[IMG]local://upfiles/86212/D9BDF78188D440809E85454B58500E39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: unidentified 92 caravan trans part

Could be a shield from the abs pump,if you have abs. I can tell you it not from the transmission.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:30 AM
scavengerdog

well, my guess is that you would know, but it did come out of the trans... he had the trans out and on a clean workbench while trying to free up the shifter and this part popped out. he's not really a mechanic in the strictest sense, but he is obsessively clean in his work area. s'pose it coulda been in there since trans was built (it's a chrysler rebuilt)... anyway, unless someone comes up with a reason why not, the plan is to put the trans back in and try it. thanks a bunch for the informed input.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

It's been a few years now since i had one apart, but i seem to recall something like that near the parking pin. Mybe a linkage retainer??? I defer to Master-Tech though he's seen a lot more

Quick Reply: unidentified 92 caravan trans part