Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

I need help with the infamous oil light switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM
caravan89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with the infamous oil light switch

Hello Forum,

I have a 1989 Doge Caravan 2.5L non turbo mini van. It only have 138,000 mile. Lately I've been experiencing some problems with theoil light switch turning on. On many occasions the light will go on when the van is runing for a while. I've talk to some of my friends who are novice mechanic and some have told me that it could be that the engine is going bad. The " check inginge" light doesn't go on. I personally think that that the oil pump may be at fault. I will like to know why this only happens when the engine has been running for a while and not at the beginning when I turn on the engine. In addition, I notice that there is a small oil leak at the engine's head. Could this be the problem that is causing the oil light to go on? Any honest feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
jubadah
Default RE: I need help with the infamous oil light switch

Does the light come on at speed or only at idle? My 1992 2.5 oil light would come on at idle only when the vehicle was warm (when the oil is thiner). I checked my oil pressure with a manual gauge and it was 18 lbs at idle. So I replaced the sending unit and the light stays off now.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
caravan89

The light comes on usually when Imake a stop on a red light. That would probably suggest that the engine is running on idle. Most of the time it happens when the engine has been running for a while.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Ck the oil level and its full,and thentry a oil pressure switch 1st before tearing into a motor.

Quick Reply: I need help with the infamous oil light switch