Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Add power to manual liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
hobiewahn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add power to manual liftgate

Hello-
Been reading here for a bit and finally came across an unanswered question. I previously had a 05 T&C and ended up replacing it with a 05 Grand Caravan SXT. The one thing I miss is the power lift gate. Is this a difficult thing to add? It looks like it would be a motor, gear arm, motorized latch, plastic paneling and button up front. Anyone ever attempted this? Is this something the dealer can add?

I did a bit of searching on Google and the forum but have come up with nothing.

Thanks!
HW

Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
tazman444
Rookie
Default RE: Add power to manual liftgate

The motor assy. comes with the swivel arm already attached to it. You just need to bolt it to the liftgate. You need to replace the liftgate trim panel around the glass with the panel that has a hole for this bolt. You also need to replace the left 'D' pilar panel as well. You should already have the wire taped up behind the existing panel to plug the motor into. The overhead console upfront has a spot for you to add a module with the button on it. Take out the screw andpull itdown with a good tug. Disconnect the wire harness and disassemble the consoleTORX screws. There should be approx. 10 #4 or #5 TORX holding the module in place. It would probably be easier to getthe whole consolefrom a wreck with the button you need. Any extra buttons are just a bonus and shouldn'tcause any issues. You can even get the keyfobsfrom EBay and program them to open the liftgate for you. Make sure you line up all panel clips before you tap them in. If not, they will leave white stress marks that are hard to remove.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
bwolmarans

Hi Tazman

I want to add this as well to my 07 GCSXT.
Sounds like you work at a shop and are very experienced with this.
Who would you recommend do this work for me?
I am in Thousand Oaks ( north-west Los Angeles ), should I talk to the local Dodge dealer?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
tazman444
Rookie

Actually, I work at the plant building these minivans. I have installed all of these parts at one time or another over the years and help some of the repiarmen on ocassion. I would let the dealer do the installation unless you have experience working on these vans. I'd offer to fly out there andinstall it for you but my Wife probably wouldn't let me go play that far from home. Hehehe!!

Quick Reply: Add power to manual liftgate