Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Starter troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
djjackson13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter troubles

I am having an issue with my '97 3.0 that has me scratching my head. Every few days, the starter refuses to turn. It is not a charging sytem problem, as I have full battery voltage and the problem "magically" goes away afterseveral tries of the key over the span a a few minutes to a half hour. Jumping it has no effect. I can hear the fuel pump come on and the starter relay click, but no other sounds. I originally suspected the starter relay, as removing and re-seating it did result in a start, butthis is not consistent and probably coincidental. After replacing the relay, cleaning and sealing the contacts, and pulling the starter to have it tested (tested good on the bench), I am at a loss on how to troubleshoot this. It does not seem to be related to the position of the gearshift. There seems to be no pattern to the symptoms and it comes and goes. When the starter does turn, it does not sound labored at all. I hesitate to replace the $180.00 starter and end up with the same problem. I hoping some of you have ideas. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: Starter troubles

sounds like the starter is on its way out our lebaron did it for over a year before it finally died I did the same thing took it in and they said it was fine sometimes you can replace the contacts this may fix the problem a starter shop could either sell them to you, or online tooor you do it youself or they could do it for you but a starter shop can rebuild the whole thing for around $60 thats what it cost me and it took a few hours for them to rebuild it

Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM
djjackson13
Default RE: Starter troubles

I had not thought of rebuilding it myself or having it rebuilt. Both good suggestions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Starter troubles