Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

OBD-II P1486: "Eva Leak Monitor Pinched Hose Found"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD-II P1486: "Eva Leak Monitor Pinched Hose Found"

2003 Grand Caravan Sport w/ 78k miles. OBD light came on this morning on my way into work. Caught an Autozone on the way, and they pulled a P1486 off the scanner. They didn't have a description for it, but online search points to "Eva Leak Monitor Pinched Hose Found".

So, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what happened. Here's a recent history, FWIW:
1) Had the van's firsttranny fluid service (fluid replace and filter cleaned) 10 days ago. Drove out with a new problem: downshift at 30 is *very* noticeable in noise and feeling.
2) Changed engine oil & filter8 days ago. Also, checked air filter.
3) Had inner tie rods replaced 4 days ago. That night, on my long commute home, the gas gauge dropped from a half-tank to empty in the course of 10 miles on the freeway. I checked the rearview mirror: no "line" trailing the van. I pulled off at the nearest exit that had a gas station, turned off the van, waited 30 seconds, started it up again, and gas gauge went back up to half-tank. On the road again, gas gauge dropped to empty within 10 miles. (When I filled it up the next day, the gauge functioned fine, but once I got to the half-tank mark again this morning, it dropped to about an 1/8 of a tank.)
4) Took van back to tranny place 3 days ago. They hooked up their puter, took it for a test drive, diagnosed problem, did a reset on the tranny, and problem "solved". No more hard downshift, but the tech told me it's possible it could reappear ("you'll know within a few weeks"). This is a reputable tranny shop; a good friend of mine owns an auto parts shop and personally knows the owner.
5) Took the van to car wash 2 days agoand got the underbody wash tolose the Michigan winter salt.
6)Several trips around town yesterday, no problems.
7) This morning, didn't notice the light until I was a couple hundred yards out of the driveway. There are no driveability issues.

None of the "action" points above seem to fit in diagnosing a "pinched hose", but I'm open to the wisdom of the esteemed members ofthis forum. I suppose it's possibleany of the "under the hood" workmight haveinadvertantly done something, but the last of that was4 days ago, and Iwould have thoughtthe code would haveappeared before today. I'm tempted to do a reset on the OBD to see if it was a fluke.

If it's "real", can anyone recommend step to trace the problem hose?

TIA,
Dan

Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: OBD-II P1486: "Eva Leak Monitor Pinched Hose Found"

Ck the hoses at the LDP pump or the vent valve. Or if you have an NVLD pump.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Dan400Man
Professional

Thanks master tech!

Unfortunately, I don't have my greek translation guide with me. Could you advise as to what "LDP" and "NVLD" are? And where I might find these pumps or the vent valve? Would I find this information in a Chilton's manual?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

HI Dan
Leak detection pump ( LDP) Nautral vaccum Leak detection pump (NVLD). And both under the van near the rack n pinion.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

Thanks master tech!

So, then,perhaps the tranny fluid service might have had something to do with that, although that was 10 days prior to the OBD light coming on. Seems like a long time for this to propogate. If I get a dry spell today, I'll have to take a look.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

Finally have resolution to this. Took over a month, but...

Shortly after my last post, I was driving and the engine stalled about 50 miles down the freeway. Fortunately, I was able to coast into a rest area. I parked it, turned the ignition off, waited a minute, tried to restart, no go. I got under the van and banged on the gas tank several times, got back in the van, and restarted it, no problem. Was able to drive 5 miles to the next exit with a gas station, and filled up. Made the rest of the drive home, and took the van to a local mechanic. Gave him the symptoms and he diagnosed a faulty fuel pump, and replaced it. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the symptoms (gas gauge dropping to empty, engine stalling, etc.)

Finally got the van back to the mechanic on Monday, and he found the LDP had a broken "neck" at the top of the pump. Apparently someone had tried to be MacGuyver and rigged a thin rigid tube attached with tape to attach the flex tubing to. I have a hard time imagining the tranny shop could have done this, as the tran pan is a full foot in front of where this pump is mounted. What about the inner tie rods job? Could there have been some mucking around the LDP with that work? Now that I look at the history, I notice that the gas gauge started acting up the day I had the tie rods done. Hmmm. (The tie rods were done by a different mechanic. I work and live 70 miles apart, hence...)

Whatever the case, I had to shell out for a fuel pump replacement that probably didn't need replacing (my mechanic concurred). Fortunately, he agreed that he misdiagnosed the fuel pump and waived all charges for the LDP replacement. OBD light's off, gas gauge is operating normally, and no driveability issues.

If anyone has an opinion on the inner tie rods work possibly being involved with the broken LDP, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LDP pump is located near the charcoal canister which is located right behind to the steering rack. As for the fuel gauge, read this article: Fuel gauge drops

Quick Reply: OBD-II P1486: "Eva Leak Monitor Pinched Hose Found"