Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan - Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 PM
joepeterson56
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 Caravan - Starting Problem

Having a problem with starting: I turn on ignition key, get idiot light bulb check, continue to turn to start position, NOTHING! No ticking or buzzing or clicking. Return key to lock position, try again, same. 3, 4 or 5 times, then starts right up like nothing wrong. It seems to happen mostly on the first start after engine is completely cooled down, usually the first start of the day. Occassionally after you park it for several hours. I replaced thestarter about 6 - 8 months ago, so I do not think that is the problem, because all no start problems I ever had with any car that were starter related, were with "hot" starts. I am wondering if it is the ignition SWITCH, not to be confused with the ignition cylinder. Couldthe switch itselfbe shot ? Anyone know how I test it? Or could it possibly be that the switch has vibrated loose in it's mounting spot and possibly sliding up and down the column just enough to keep the rod from engaging it ? Would appreciate any info anyone may have about this condition.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 PM
djjackson13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem

I recently went through an identical situation with my '97 3.0L. I couldn't believe it was the starter, especially after pulling the starter for test and it tested OK on the bench. Next, I replaced the relay, with no improvement. After several more days of waiting for the problem to resurface at a time when I could troubleshoot it with a multimeter, I gave up and gambled the $120 for a new starter.It's been a few weeks since I replaced the starter andthe problemhas not re-appeared.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
joepeterson56
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem UPDATE

Today, first start of the day, starts right up on first key turn. I moved the car, turned it off then decided to try something.

I turned the key to start, and WITHOUT PRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL, IT STARTED RIGHT UP, ANDI WAS ABLE TO PUT THE VAN FROM PARK THRU ALL DRIVE GEARS WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL ! SO, could my problem be the park/neutral safety switch on the tranny?

I also removed the brake pedal switch, and didn't jump out any wires, just left the connector hanging, and again it started up and went thru all gears. I had a ford, and this switch was not just the brake light switch, it was a safety switch which wouldn't let the car start or shift without depressing the brake pedal. Does the one on the chryslers serve the same multi funtion, or is it strictly for the brake lights?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Fivspeed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem UPDATE

I should preface this by saying that I do not own a caravan. But, the neutral safety switch IS most likely the culprit. You'll know for sure if you wiggle the transmission selector the next time you get a no-start. Generally speaking, a 1997 model anything should not start without having the brake pedal depressed. Good job finding the problem!

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem