Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Grand Caravan SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 AM
medic_jeremy639
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Grand Caravan SE

Hey guys', I'm new here and would like some help, please

I have a '96 Grand Caravan SE with 117k miles that I just purchased 2 weeks ago.

First problem: I get a bad vibration from the rear end of the van. When I noticed it, it was after I purchased it. It seems to be worse at hiway speeds (65+). I looked at the tires and the middle of the tires have a lot better tread than the outside of the tire. Do I just need new tires and get a balance? Or is it a deeper problem?

Second problem: The A/C doesn't work. I turn it on, and cool air comes out, but no where near full blown A/C. I checked the fuses already, but they are ok. How can I troubleshoot without spending all the money on a compressor and stuff?

Third problem: My cruise controland power locks do notwork. Light doesn't turn on when I press the button for the cruise. Thepower locks don't function on all doors. Fuses are fine, even replacedthem for good measure. Still nothing.

Fourth and lastproblem (good thing I got this van cheap, eh?): The left blinker has to be shut off manually. It clicks when the steering wheel is returned to a neutral position, but it doesn't turn off. Don't suppose this is a cheap fix?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!!

Jeremy

*EDIT*

I don't know how it fixed it, but my check engine light had come on (O2 Sensor), I pulled the memory fuse to clear it, and what do ya know the cruise control now works... How does THAT happen? lol

Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
alwaysdutch
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Grand Caravan SE

You almost have the same problems as I had with my '96 3.0.

The tires are probably bad and maybe they swapped them to the rear. Two new tires is what I would do.

The A/C on mine works the whole summer season but every spring I have to re-fill it with three cans of freon. I replaced the valve in the back towards firewall but nothing helps. I guess it is a typical Dodge caravan thing, juts like squeezing front brakes.....

The left blinker side of the blinker handle went bad on my van as well. I simply went to ebay and luckely I found one for low cost. new handle at autozone cost about $70. the windshield wipers went crazy too because of that problem...

No clue on the Cruise control problem....

Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1996 Grand Caravan SE

When tires have more tread in the middle than on the sides, that's an indication that they're been running at low pressure. The middle tread puckers up and the weight of the vehicle is literally riding on the outer edges--wearing them down. If the tread on the outer edges are less than 3/32", it's time for new tires. Not sure I would invest a lot in balancing these olds ones, but that's a judgment call between you and the tire shop.

The cruise control coming back on after pulling fuse means that the body control module reset itself--like rebooting a computer.

The turn signal issue means you need a new "multifuntion switch". It's easy to replace. Disconnect battery cable. Remove the shrouds around the steering column. Disconnect the electrical connector to the switch and replace the entire assembly.

The A/C should be checked out by an A/C shop. Adding too much refrigerant can damage a TMX valve system used on these vehicles.

The door lock switch can be diagnosed with a digital voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: 1996 Grand Caravan SE