Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ac not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
leg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac not working

I have a 1997 gran caravan. The ac blows out warm air. I have replaced the ac clutch relay, checked the fuse and the clutch still wont engage. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
bvil
Default RE: ac not working

Had the same thing happen to me except my was an 85 caravan which I still have and will never part with.lol Anyway I replace the compressor which came with a new clutch and still no good so I crawled around looking for something else that might be wrong finally I gave up and took it to the dealer went back and pick it up later and ask them what was wrong with it they told nothing I had just for got to put Freon in it and that the clutch won’t engage if its to low (go figure) at first I thought no way I look to see if they did anything else and I didn’t see anything. Anyway it works so maybe their right not sure if yours is the same.

(Just a thought) I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check to see if that’s it.

Hope it helps a little

Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 AM
scarpint
Default RE: ac not working

A couple of things to check.

As the other poster stated, check your refrigerant level. If it is too low, the compressor won't kick on. The other thing I had going on with my '96 Caravan is it seemed the clutch on the compressor was "stuck". I found this out one day when trying to trouble shoot the problem and accidently got a wrench too close to the clutch and it stuck to itbecause of the magnet. Ahah! I said to myself. the clutch magnet (I guess that's what it's called)is getting power. I took the clutch apart, cleaned it and put a bit of grease on the shaft.

It's worked like a champ for years now!

Good luck.

Tim

Quick Reply: ac not working