Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

93 Grand Caravan LE questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Cervantes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Grand Caravan LE questions

Hi!
I'm having a series of troubles with my Grand Caravan (type C)... and while I know it might make sense to just junk it, I really do love this van, so even though I don't have money for a mechanic, I thought I'd see if anyone can give me advice on whether I can fix the following troubles myself:

- It's developed a brake line leak in the right rear wheel. I haven't pulled it off yet to see if it's just a tube or if it's something worse. Is this something I can service myself? I can't find my Haynes manual yet, but I checked the dodge service manual online and it wasn't very descriptive.

- The tranny (A604) is going. 220K, I'm surprised it lasted this long. I've managed to track the problem down to faulty high-low speed sensor and the solenoid pack. Basically, sometimes it drops into "safety gear" randomly (but usually when I'm hovering around 60kph, which is where it shifts up). Leaving it with the key out for a few minutes fixes the problem. I've been told that I can replace those two components myself, and also told that I can't. Which is right? I can't afford the $1200 for a new tranny, but I don't mind the effort of pulling it out if I can fix it with some new parts. Mechanically, it had been fine (had my mechanic check it out last year, he said the gears were ok), but recently it's started wobbling when I accelerate in first gear. Any ideas of the cause?

- It needs maintenance, since it became my spare car and it's been sitting most of this year. I've been told there's something I can remove so I can get at the back 3 spark plugs (which I don't think have EVER been changed, they're so &%#(*@ hard to get to). Any ideas? I used to get great gas milage out of it (25mpg+ in the city), but now it's a pig.

Those are the big 3... obviously, there's more work I have to do to it (stupid Dodge paint...), but those top 2 are the dealbreakers. I'd appreciate any and all advice/help. I do really like this van, I'd feel bad seeing it go to Death Row....

Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 93 Grand Caravan LE questions

The drive axles maybe going bad, or ply on the tires are coming apart.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Cervantes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 93 Grand Caravan LE questions

For my brakes, turns out the master cylinder is gone, but it's a surprisingly cheap and easy fix. $15 part and I'm done.

master tech, I'm assuming you're talking about the wobble in 1st? Tires are ok, how can I check the drive axle?

Quick Reply: 93 Grand Caravan LE questions