Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 AM
nvrplay2ty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission service

just picked up a 2001 grand caravan with 3.3L with 92,000 miles and i want to change the tranny fluid. I know these vans have a history of tranny trouble so is it worth it going to a dealership for a factory filter and fluid or is ok to go to an autozone? Whats the recomended fluid and how many quarts will I need. Thanks

Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: transmission service

ATF+4 is the recomended fluid. OPinions will vary, but I'd say autozone is fine. The standard for the +4 fluid is strict so wherever you buy it should be fine. Walmart of all places sometimes has the best price on fluid (but you can't get the filter there).

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

Changing tranny fluid is just like changing oil; on the contrary, you will need to unbolt a lot of bolts of the pan. If you decide to do the change yourself, make sure you have some dry sweep in case of spills. Also, the oil pan gasket are made of a rubber material. Do not put sealant on the gasket; instead, put a light coat of tranny fluid on both sides of the gasket. To place the gasket on the pan, pre-screw the bolts through the pan and gasket (all of the bolts). This way the gasket don't slip around and held in place as you srew the pan back on.

I had problems the first time I performed the change. Auto parts store clerk informed me to put a light coat ofsealant on the gasket. I tried feverishly to put the pan back on with the gasket and then screw in the bolts, but the gasket kept slipping off.So, when all was done therewas leakage. I did it the second time, using my head, and by what I stated above, and all was fine after that... Good luck

Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Who said it was like changing oil???? Why listen to a guy selling parts for $12hr ???? if he was so knowledgable he'd be out putting 'em on for 3 x the money or more.......lol

Old 07-16-2008, 06:18 AM
deezozdodge
Professional

($12 an hour) heck, I should be working as a clerk there. Changing tranny fluid is like changing oil (drain, replace filter, and fill). Oh, there may be a magnet on inside of the pan. The magnet is used to catch metal shavings; so don't freak out if you see it, thinking it's a part that came off tranny Take your sweet time and clean off old gasket material completely. Don't scrap hard to get it off or you may warp the pan.

Quick Reply: transmission service