Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 caravan-rear main seal leak- common? covered under drivetrain waranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
chuckb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 caravan-rear main seal leak- common? covered under drivetrain waranty?

my 05 caravan just developed a pretty significant oil leak out of nowhere. it seems to me like it's the rear main. is this covered under drivetrain waranty and is this a common issue? the van is an 05 with 49k miles.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Is the fluid dark or red? and do you have a 2.4 engine. The 2.4 engine do have a problem with the crankshaft walking in the block and will start leaking oil from either the front seal or rear main. If you have a 3.3 engine, no its not as common as the 2.4L. Call your local dealer and find out what your powertrain warranty has left.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
chuckb

^thanks, it's a 3.3 and I'm pretty sure it's oil, not trans fluid. I'm taking it to dealer tomorrow. pretty sure I'm still under drivetrain warranty.
I just wanted to make sure drivetrain warranty covers rear main leak?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
chuckb

so they say it's the rear main. I just have to pay $100 deductable on dt warranty.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats good, Because to do a rear main the transmission needs to be removed.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

My '05 with the 3.3 (103,00 miles) is wet with oil at the engine to transaxle joint area. No warranty for me.

I wipe the pan, transaxle and everything I can off and the next trip it is wet at this end of the engine. It seems to get worse in colder weather and decreases in warmer weather.

It isn't transmission fluid (not pinkish/red) cause the level hasn't changed since I put a new filter in the tranny 20K miles ago.

I'm not a fan of oil aditives, but have been considering adding something or switching to Valvoline's Maxlife. I just changed to oil and have fresh 5W-20 Valvoline full synthetic oil in the pan.

Any positive or non-positive thoughts on "seal conditioners"? Thanks.

I known an automatic would be much heavier than my sons' Civic 5-sp that we changed the clutch on and the procedure would be basically the same by popping a ball joint, pull the one half shaft and (after disconnecting the fluid lines, wiring and leakage) pulling the tranny.

Quick Reply: 05 caravan-rear main seal leak- common? covered under drivetrain waranty?