Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Caravan Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Premium Ookwee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 Caravan Air Filter

I recently bought a new air filter for my 1997 Grand Caravan 3.0L. When I looked at the engine I saw a sign that told me to service the air box "here". It is on the right side near the battery. However, when I looked at "here", one screw was missing and the other is impossible to remove. It just turns but doesn't come out. I can't remember the last time the filter was changed so I think it is high time that the filter should be changed now. Can someone please provide me with directions on how I could change the air filter. It was simple on a 2000 Corolla.

Note: I know almost nothing about cars so please be a little bit descriptive about what I should be looking for. Also, I am a very visual learner so pictures would really help.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Moved this post for you to the Caravan Section where someone should be able to answer your question.
Welcome to the forum by the way...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Loosen the two 5/16 clamp screws and the two 10mm bolts, then remove the air horn and then remove the one 10mm bolt and pull the air box out.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Premium Ookwee

Thank you master tech.

I tried your procedure but I ran into some problems. I found a large tube leading out of the air box to the engine. It was clamped with a 5/16 clamp. I loosened it and detached the hose as you instructed (top view). I found another large tube coming out of the bottom leading to another box. I loosened the 5/16 clamp but could not detach the hose (bottom view). Also, there are supposed to be 2 10mm bolts at the font of the box but one is missing and the other one will just turn but not come out. Thank you for your advice so far. I am attaching jpegs that I drew in MS Paint to illustrate what I mean.

1997 Caravan Air Filter-bottom-view.jpg

1997 Caravan Air Filter-top-view.jpg

Last edited by Premium Ookwee; 08-15-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Premium Ookwee

Urgently need help. Thank you!

Quick Reply: 1997 Caravan Air Filter