Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Down shifting when it shouldn't?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Shelbysvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down shifting when it shouldn't?

Ok, we just got the van back from getting a axle seal leak fix (we thought it was a trans leak). We were on I-95 and when you let off the gas it feels like it is down shifting (sometimes I think my husband is braking and he's not), this really only happens when you are on flat or going down a hill. It also makes a whine noise that's not loud but you do notice (whine noise echo's off the Jersey Wall sometimes). It happens on all speeds not just the highway. It has done it before but only a few times, now it happens all the time.

Is this a possible Transmission problem? Thank in advance!

Last edited by Shelbysvan; 08-15-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

The whinning sound could be normal, transfer gears always whine, but if the front pump is whinning thats not good. If the trans is up shifting and down shifts, then I would you may have a TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ) going into WOT causing the trans to down shift. ( Wide Open Throttle ). You didn't state if you have a 3 speed or a 4 speed.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Shelbysvan

It's a 4 speed with overdrive. The whine sounds like it comes from the transmission.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Shelbysvan

Not only does the van feel like it is down shifting when it shouldn't, when taking off from a dead stop it feels like it is in 1st gear to long. Just started doing that today.Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Transmission maybe starting to fail. You may want to think about replacing the trans.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
xmenop

I have similar problem, 2000 caravan 3.3L 4spd transmission replaced at 140,000 miles now at 265,000 miles. When stopped and put in reverse with a little throttle you can fill it acting up. Wants to surge or slip at times. Tried a code reader but only code was for a catalyst problem.

I changed the transmission filter fluid all clean, did have a small leak on side from the solenoid pack.

Could our problem be a solenoid going bad or I have read something about going into limp mode because it sure is limping at times but at regular highway speeds it seems to run fine.

I found a guy on ebay selling new caravan solenoid pack for 98.00 shipped but been putting if off.

Quick Reply: Down shifting when it shouldn't?