Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 G-Caravan Sending Unit fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
happyreefer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 G-Caravan Sending Unit fuel pump problem

OK,

Broke the inlets on the fuel pump/sending unit while changing my fuel filter. Installed a new unit purchased from Autozone and the sending unit did not properly work.

Fuel Gauge initially read Full once filled but would bounced around quite a bit after about 30 miles on the car while chimming the low fuel alarm ever 10 secs. Once you put about 70 mile on the car the guage would just read Empty.

Figured it was faulty and replace it with a new one from autozone since there was a yr warranty on it. This sending unit will read full and empty will be at 1/2 tank on the gauge.
Thats where Im at now.

Do you think I received 2 faulty fuel pump/ sending units in a row or is there a special reset code or something I overlooked while installing the unit.

All info is greatly appriceated.

Gary
Panama City Beach, FL

Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM
happyreefer

Bump, someone must have some kind of idea or thoughts!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did any of the wiring get damaged during the initial repair?
eg. was the tank hanging by the wiring and fuel lines when the original pump was damaged?
I would inspect the fuel pump connector and make sure the pins didn't get pulled out or spread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
happyreefer

Thanks for the reply, again any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

When I removed the tank originally I had the tank completely disconnected from the wiring harness prior to moving out from under the van.

on the second pump I installed. Prior to installation into the tank, I connected the wiring harness and held the sending unit at different levels indicating different amounts of gas in the tank. When I did this the reading on the dash was correct at empty, half and even full.

Once installed and filled with gas, the sending unit did not show proper level of gas.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins.

Also tried resetting the dash gauges as per holding "trip" and "reset" button down simultaneously.

Sill no go.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 PM
happyreefer

bump, bump, bump, bump

Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM
aero_eng
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
yellowbugger62
Default Mine too

I've got a 97 voyager that I replaced the fuel pump on with an Airtex unit from Autozone.

The gauge does not move off of F regardless how full it is, but it does set off the bell every 10 seconds.

Replaced it with another one, same thing.

Did you ever rectify this situation? I'm beginning to think it could possibly be two bad sending units on these pumps.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowbugger62
I've got a 97 voyager that I replaced the fuel pump on with an Airtex unit from Autozone.

The gauge does not move off of F regardless how full it is, but it does set off the bell every 10 seconds.

Replaced it with another one, same thing.

Did you ever rectify this situation? I'm beginning to think it could possibly be two bad sending units on these pumps.
Did you try the cluster test and did the gas gauge flip to zero then 1/4 then 1/2 then full? If not the cluster is bad. Other than that check the wiring and you might try an OEM pump.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
yellowbugger62

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Did you try the cluster test and did the gas gauge flip to zero then 1/4 then 1/2 then full? If not the cluster is bad. Other than that check the wiring and you might try an OEM pump.
No, i've never done the cluster test. What is the cluster test?

Old 11-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Radar696
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Yes please, what is the cluster test and how is it performed.

I have a friend that is driving a 98 Voyager and it has started the bell dinging thing too.
It doesn't matter how full the tank is, when the bell dings and the low fuel light comes on the gauge will drop to empty.
Sometimes it will come all of the way back to it's proper reading and once or twice it has only returned to the 1/4 mark.
Other than that the vehicle continues to run fine.

if it make a difference, the tank was dropped last year to replace the pump/sending unit.

It's very annoying when you are traveling along!

Thank you for looking,

Radar

P.S.: I think I found my answer about the cluster test.
It worked properly once I figured out the proper process but it didn't stop the bell from dinging.

Last edited by Radar696; 11-13-2016 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Updated Message

Quick Reply: 99 G-Caravan Sending Unit fuel pump problem