Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Intermittent Wiper Problems - 1996 GC SE Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 AM
96GCSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Wiper Problems - 1996 GC SE Sport

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my switch or my relay is going out due to a problem I'm having with the intermittent wipers. I can have my intermittent setting set on the slowest possible speed and yet sometimes (not all the time) they will go like they are on the low continuous setting, yet sometimes it will work fine or go 3 times before shutting off. One time I shut them off and they kept going like they were on. So far that has happened once. But the other problems continue to happen. What is going on? HELP!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Our 97 GC had the same problem. When I removed the bezel that holds the switch/controller i found that the harness plug had partially melted. I cleaned it up and was able to reconnect it with no further problems. The connections at the controller were a problem. If you take yours off, check for a loose or corroded connection.. Good Luck....

Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM
96GCSE

Thanx! Well I took the steering column cover off and sure enough things were loose and can tell they have gotten a tad warm over the 12 yr period. Switch is still fine, did some tightening of wires and added some electrical grease to stop the corrosion that's wanting to form. Wipers work like they should but still have the occasional hiccup. Something I'm gonna have to live with. LoL Again Thanx!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Multi function switches (Wiper/turn signal) are very commonly failed parts.
I'm pretty sure there was a TSB back in the day to replace the multifunction switch on the 96 caravan for erratic wiper operation.
If your switch is still original I would consider replacing it.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Wiper Problems - 1996 GC SE Sport