Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

fluid leak...need help identifying

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:53 PM
canooten
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid leak...need help identifying

2004 Caravan, about 80,000 miles. Noticed a stain on the carport floor the other day, but couldn't identify since it had soaked in. Van seems to be leaking hydraulic from *someplace* directly behind (about a foot) and above the front passenger wheel.

First thought was transmission, but that is on the driver side if I'm identifying my parts correctly (not much of a mechanic...sorry), but I still started it and shifted in and out of gear a bit to see if pressure on the system would cause it to leak (wasn't leaking right after my wife got home from work and turned it off). Nothing there. It seems to start leaking after it sits and cools a while (overnight mostly).

Got under there today to see if I could trace it and not knowing what is what, thought maybe someone could identify this part. It's as high as I can trace the fluid...either coming from here or directly above it.

Last edited by canooten; 11-22-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 PM
cochleardad

hi there.
your shot is a little too close to be 100% sure but seems to be you steering rack but that isn't what is leaking, what is leaking is your heater core since that is the only device that can leak fluid into the passenger compartment and the heater core is on the inside of the vehicle on the driver side with two hose that goes into the engine bay (look right beside the brake booster on the fire wall and that is the hose to your heater core ) try to replace the two spring clamp with new stainless clamps and that might fix your problem, if not try a coolant sealer (a good one like prestone) to see if that seals it up, if that doesn't than you will have to take to a dealer or a very mechanically inclined friend to replace the heater core. good luck and keep an eye on your coolant since it will be going down very soon.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
canooten

Sorry...didn't get the facts across straight I suppose.

The pic is as wide as I could take from under the vehicle. The part I was referring to is the silver part (PS pump?). That's as high up as I could trace the fluid.

It's not leaking inside the van....it's pooling on the ground underneath, just behind the passenger tire.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:47 PM
canooten

I forgot that the coolant in this van is red. Is the part pictured above the water pump? Would make more sense.....transmission and coolant are the only two fluids that are red on this vehicle.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say something on the power steering is leaking. I'm not too sure But isn't it a common problem for the pump reservoir to rust out? May be just that one of the hoses has a leak.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Nofrag
Champion

That brake line(top right corner of pic) looks very wet, it looks like the source of the leak. Check the brake fluid level. I would definitely explore that before driving again.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 AM
canooten

PS was my 2nd thought, but after checking the fluid, it doesn't match what's leaking. PS fluid on this van is an orange/brown color. Leak is bright red (coolant and transmission are the only red fluids)

I saw the wet brake line, but it seem that it was leaked on and not from. Like above, my brake fluid is brown, so no match.

I'll have it looked at tomorrow....after comparing the color and texture of the coolant to what's leaking, that seems to be what it is. The coolant overflow is low, so that looks like it. Thankfully I have a third vehicle, so it can sit until I can take it to be looked at.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
98PVOYA

Its your Water Pump that is leaking.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
canooten

Originally Posted by 98PVOYA
Its your Water Pump that is leaking.
That's what I've come to think over the weekend. Thanks for the info.....

Old 06-04-2016, 12:07 AM
cryce74
Default antifreeze leak.

I have antifreeze coming out from under my steering wheel. It's a 2004 Dodge Caravan sxt. Has about 150,000 miles on it. It's not over heating, it was being driven on the highway and when the gas was applied antifreeze came rushing out from under the steerin20g wheel. Now if you get over 20 mph antifreeze comes pouring out from under the steering wheel when you apply gas. Could you please help me with what the problem is so that I can get it fixed? Thank you so much.

Quick Reply: fluid leak...need help identifying