Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan Cooling sytem problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
caravan89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan Cooling sytem problem

Hello Forum,

Happy New Year to everyone on the forum. I haven't been at the forum since 8/2008.
I am having a problem with my 1989 Doge Carvan 2.5L non turbo. On June 2008, I had a friend replaced the timing belt as well as the water pump. The friend was not to knowledgable with the replacement of the timing belt. I had to get another friend to be able to start my car. Currently, I am having some problems with the heating system. At the begining of the winter I was getting some heat, but now I don't get any at all. I don't know if it is a problem with the thermostat or the water pump. I forgot to mention that I haven't replaced the thermostat in a year and a half. I pintched the upper radiator hose and I didn't feel any antyfreeze running. I will like to know if the problem comes from the thermostat or could it be the water pump. How can I tell if the water pump has gone bad. It has been very could here in New York City and I can't work on the car. I been changing the car from street to street in other to avoid getting a ticket when the street needs to be clean. I haven't been traveling far. Can the engine get damage If I only moving the car from one side of the street to another? I want to change the thermostat when it gets a little warmer . Your honest feedbak wll be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by caravan89; 01-17-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: I mispelled some words
Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Heat

i do not think it is the water pump, if that was bad I would suspect overheating of the engine. Does the temperature gauge come up to normal, if yes does it get there quick or slow? I would first suspect the thermostat, if she is stuck open or partiallt open then sufficient heating will not happen

Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 PM
caravan89

Thanks vabear, this particular van doesn't have a gauge with a needle. It has a small round glass with the sybol of a thermostat. If the light goes on this symbol, it means that the engine is getting hot. So far it hasn't turn on. However, the fan on the radiator goes on after the engine has been runnig for 15 minutes

Last edited by caravan89; 01-17-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Cooling

These cars do have a temperature sensor that activates the fan at a given temperature, also most will activate the fan instantly if the AC is selected.

Quick Reply: Caravan Cooling sytem problem