Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Tranny Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:00 PM
s10ben
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Trouble

Hello, I'm new to this forum because I just started experiencing the joys of a Dodge.</P>

My wife drives a '00 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L with overdrive tranny, 115K. We live in North Dakota where its been getting down to -20, -30 °F. My wife tells me that when she puts the van in Drive it does nothing until she revs it up a little, then make a loud clunck and starts moving. Sometimes it also does this between 1st and 2nd. If she lets the van warm up for about an hour, there is no problem. Tranny fluid/filter was changed this last summer.</P>

Thanks in advance to any help.</P>

Old 02-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny Trouble

Well, at times the trans will not let you shift until the fluid is warmed up. Does it only happen on really cold days?

~Amanda

Old 02-05-2004, 01:14 AM
s10ben
Default Tranny Trouble

</P>

Yes, when it's warm out, there is no problem. How do you warm up the fluid other than driving it?</P>

Old 03-03-2004, 12:31 AM
s10ben
Default RE: Tranny Trouble

Well we got that problem fixed...but it may have been too late.

Tranny cooler line came loose during cold weather resulting in fluid loss and low pressures. My wife got tired of waiting for me to crawl under the car and look at it (it was -40 °F for a week, can you blame me?) so she took it to a shop and had the lines tightened, fluid filled and codes cleared for $30. Makes me wonder what the tip was. Anyway it works good for now. Time will tell.

ben

Quick Reply: Tranny Trouble