Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan sliding door question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

08grandvan
Welcome to DF
I agree with TNtech, Do you know if the K14 recall has been done? and if you don't know, then send me a pm with the last 9 of your vin and mileage and i'll be able to tell you.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
JETwagen
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my '10 Routan (rebadged Town & Country) I could open the door with the overhead button or the remote, but not always with the handle (not even manually) or the button just inside the door. My dealership did an update on the door software, they never got it to replicate the problem. After some investigation myself, I found that the lock on my passenger side sliding door was sticking and not fully engaging everytime in the unlock position. I still have not found what exactly is causing it to stick, but it seems to have worked itself out and hasn't happened again since. This may not be your problem, but it is something else you can investigate.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
08GrandVan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not a power door. All manual. Thanks.
Originally Posted by TNtech
Take it back in and tell them to do the K-14 Recall on the door wiring harnesses. The point of contact IF they're damaged is at close when the hinge rubs (on some of them) the wiring harness. Sometimes they cut the wires or chafe them and cause a short or an open. If they won't at least take a peek at it in the lane then go somewhere else. I'm all for checkout charge under normal circumstances but....this door wiring thing is a known problem.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
08GrandVan

Not a power door. All manual. Thanks

Old 02-18-2011, 03:31 PM
08GrandVan

steak59 Thanks for the advice. I looked at the front latch and noticed it was staying in the latched position. Took a screwdriver and opened it. Sprayed a little white grease and the door works fine now. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
08GrandVan

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:08 PM
John Bauer

Originally Posted by dfk70
Hi all,

Just took home a very nice 2008 Grand Caravan on Saturday but have a question about the sliding doors. On some of the models we checked out, a quick tug on the handle would open the door but on the one we got, if you pull the handle, the motor doesn't open the door but the door opens and closes automatically with the remote and with the buttons inside. Is there a way I can make mine slide open automatically with a pull of the handle?

Thanks.

Dave
hi,
I was reading your question which I have exactly same question about the 2008 dodge grand caravan, mine is SXT and it has all luxury things plus remote start and remote power doors plus the doors buttons inside BUT..open and close the door by handle is manual..were you able to figure out how to make it powerable with tug of a handle? Do you have any answers?
let me know please.
Thank you

Old 03-14-2018, 07:57 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Bauer
hi,
I was reading your question which I have exactly same question about the 2008 dodge grand caravan, mine is SXT and it has all luxury things plus remote start and remote power doors plus the doors buttons inside BUT..open and close the door by handle is manual..were you able to figure out how to make it powerable with tug of a handle? Do you have any answers?
let me know please.
Thank you
Unfortunately the "tug" to power open feature didn't appear until the 2009 model year.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 PM
John Bauer
Default Door

This is assuring, thank you so much

Old 02-14-2021, 11:29 PM
Nick Seabasty

Originally Posted by 08GrandVan
When the temp hit 10 degrees, I opened my 08 caravan drivers side manual sliding door. It stuck a little but with a slight pull the door opened. The door has not closed properly since. It latches but stays popped about 1/2 to 3/4 inches open. I can push in into the closed position but nothing catches and it bounces back to the popped position. Interior lights stay on and the dash indicate an open door. Dealer wants $100.00 just to look at it than of course parts and labor to repair. Does anyone have an idea on what I can do to fix?
did you ever figure this out? i have the same exact problem. it was frozen so i had to force it open. it closed fine when i only opened it halfway but later that day i opened it fully and now it won’t fully shut. i figured it was off the track but i took that apart and lined it up, still not working.

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan sliding door question