Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan 2.4L Trans Problems P0700/P0870

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
z0rb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan 2.4L Trans Problems P0700/P0870

Hello All,

This is another chapter in the continuing saga of the worst vehicle I have ever owned.

I have (regrettably) a 2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4L 4 cylinder. Aside from the routine maintenance of having various small parts replaced here and there. I have had continuing trouble from the transmission.

Once many years ago I had the TCM replaced, just recently when the transmission started making a squeaking noise, I thought it would be a good idea to change out the fluid. In the process of all this my clumsiness and ill temper lead to multiple stripped bolts on the transmission pan and I ended up having to take it to a dealer.

In the end I had to pay 1,600 bucks to get a leaky EVAP system fixed, a new water pump and tensioner (apparently they said this was the squeaking noise), and finally they fixed the problem with the transmission which was a new filter, seal and fluid.

Now less then 4000 miles and 90 days (within the limited warruntee period), I am driving around and the transmission starts to make a different noise. A rather bad one it seemed to me. Finally the vehicle accelerated madly and it appeared I was in neutral even though I tried placing the vehicle in 3,L,D, and R. I placed it in neutral and waited a moment then popped it into D again and was able to go a few hundred feet until the whole process repeated. I did this for about five miles to get the vehicle home. During all of this the CEL popped on.

When I finally had the vehicle in my driveway, I checked the Trans fluid and it seemed fine. I plugged in my scantool and pulled two codes off P0700 (Trans Control System Malfunction) and P0870 (Trans Fluid Press Sensor/Switch C Circuit).

The later is not even in my Haynes manual. Was this a new code introduced in a firmware upgrade?

So the big question is. Should the dealer be held liable for this? Is it possible to fix this problem myself? If so where is this Sensor/Switch assembly? Is this the solonoid pack I hear so much about malfunctioning? Also, how can I identify which transmission model I have?

Please Help. I am at my wits end with this vehicle.
Thank you in advance
Mike T.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

First I would ck to see if recall c13 was done, thats for the transmission wire harness. part number CEBOC130. this will cause a p0870 and p0871 code. If the harness doesn't fix the problem, then replace the solenoid pack. Did your squeaking sound come back? If it did, you may have a broken reaction plate on reverse / overdrive clutches.

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan 2.4L Trans Problems P0700/P0870