Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

"02" GC power lift gate malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
ictsean
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "02" GC power lift gate malfunction

ok here goes.. liftgate on the 02 GC stopped working.. would not open up.. would unlatch, but not open. I thought it was because of the weakend lift struts. I replaced the struts tonight.. and wow.. they are alot stronger than the ones I replaced. Ok.. I hit the button on the remote... the tail lights flashed, but there was no beeping (like it always used to do). The gate did not try to lower from it's up position. I manually closed it... then hit the button. The tail lights flashed, the beeping commenced... the liftgate latch released, BUT the liftgate did not open. What is going on with this thing? the power sliding door works perfectly... but the liftgate does not.... could it be a programming related issue? is it likely the lift motor? is there a service bulliten on this type of problem>?? a flash for the BCM? Any and all help on this issue is appreciated very much... the wife wants her gate to work.
if there is a service bulliten... a number would be helpful. Thanks again in advance.

Sean M.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Replace the liftgate latch assy.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 PM
ictsean
Amateur

thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly consider it, however.. the latch seems to be working properly.. the door opens fine manually. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or your suggestion, but what exactally does the latch have to do with the lift motor not opening, or Closing the gate?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

It allows the liftgate to release and open. If you had a DRB3 you could ck for codes in all the power doors. If there is a latch code in the liftgate, it will not open just release and try to open, but stops. Also when you push the remote to close the liftgate the latch will suck in the door and lock.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
ictsean
Amateur

ok cool... I just went and checked the gate.. I press the button when it is closed.. I hear the latch relase.. the interior light comes on.. the gate releases, but does not open, the lift motor does not activate. I pressed the button again, the gate does NOT relatch itself. it just sits there in the partially unlatched position keeping the interior lights on. I guess I still am not understanding what triggers the lift motor. I also do not understand what the latch has to do with the lift motor not closing the gate when it is in the open position. I would love to understand how that function works before I go pay the dealer to do a diag on it, and then lie to me about the cause of my problem (they have done that to me twice already). I live about 65 miles from another dealer, so I don't really wanna make that drive.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Jackpine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ictsean-did you get this figured out? My "02 is doing the exact same thing.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

jackpine
If you replace the liftgate latch assy, that should take care of your liftgate problem. And also to ictsean the latch assy is the trigger to allow the liftgate to open. If the don't complete the trigger the gate will not open. Also clear any codes too.

Quick Reply: "02" GC power lift gate malfunction