Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 PM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great instructions

Thanks for the updated instructions. Many folks will certainly benifit from your additions !

Question: With the steering unit still attached to the dash unit, were you still able to remove the HVAC box from the van for evaporator replacement or did you service it inside the van?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I pull the front seats out and then set the entire dash straight back onto the floor leaving the steering connected to the dash

Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
CaravanHomer

There is no need to remove the seats, just make sure you recline them all the way back before you start the job if you have electric seats as I do (driver's side anyway).

The steering wheel and upper column is attached to the instrument panel so when you remove it that all comes with it. If you open the Word file it shows this in the last picture of the instrument panel with the steering wheel resting on the driver's seat. The HVAC unit is fully exposed just as it was in mr_mahoney's pictures. There is no way to get to the evaporator core without removing the entire HVAC unit. I didnt' repeat the HVAC instructions because mr_mahoney's covered everything but I can add them to the document if anyone asks.

This job is time consuming but it is not difficult.

Last edited by CaravanHomer; 07-10-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
ChadClancy

CaravanHomer,

Thanks for the additions to the well documented procedure. The bolt/screw locations and numbers are especially welcome.

I also had the parking brake wire come off and now it just looks like a loose wire attached to a copper colored metal clip. I'm not sure how or where to re-attach. Could you provide any details/photos on this?

I'm in the midst of reassembly now and I didn't see your post until today so I removed the steering wheel per Mr. Mahoney's directions. It wasn't too difficult to remove but as you are probably aware, there are about 8 electrical connections to make. All different so hopefully it's easy to get them all back in the right places.

Also, I was considering replacing the heater core but when I removed it, it looked pristeen and it was flowing well so I just bench flushed and put it back in.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default parking brake wire

On my 2000 DGC , I had to run the parking brake cable through the lever opening and attach to the release lever.

Is there a spot on the parkling brake release lever that looks like the metal clip may attach to?

What year is your van?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 AM
ChadClancy

I found it last night and got it installed properly. Once I knew it was for the parking brake, I was able to take a close look and determine where it fits in. Threre is a white plastic fitting with some slots in it and I found where the piece with the wire slides in. It appears to make contact when the parking brake is released so it must tell the computer when the brake is engaged so it can illuinate the dash light for the brake.

I just got all of the interior trim back together but still need to replace the A/C drier evac the system and charge it. I also need to put the wiper tray, trim and arms back in place. I did take it for a test drive last night and everything is working fine.

One more tip for anyone doing this job. With the wiper tray removed, it is a good time to go ahead and replace those difficult to access spark plugs in the back. I don't know what everyone else's experiences are with the spark plugs but I tried some of the new style long lasting spark plugs and the van ran a lot worse than with the OEM style. Until this job, I had replaced all but the middle rear plug with OEM style plugs and it was back to running good. Now I have all six OEM style plugs and with 180K on this vehicle, it may be the last time I have to replace them. If you have big forearms, it would be difficult to replace the rear three even with the wiper tub removed.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 PM
CaravanHomer

ChadClancy,

I'm glad it all worked out. I also contemplated replacing the heater core while I had everything appart but mine too looked pristeen. I do know that replacing the heater core does not require the entire removal of the dash like the evap core does so I decided it wasn't worth the $$s to replace what looked to be a good heater core.

I also added a PDF version for those that do not have MS Word at the same link: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...F9A29CBE4A!103

Last edited by CaravanHomer; 09-14-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 PM
cobs

Does anyone have a saved copy of mr_mahoneys document? It seems to be down or removed. I fear my evaporator is leaking in my 99 T&C. It doesn't even last a cpl days between charges before the hissing starts. Any way to check to see if its really the front evap? Also thanks to CaravanHomer for your document cause it looks like it will be really helpful if I do the job.

Edit: I was able to get mr_mahoneys article from google cache and manually changed the picture number in the URL based on the pictures in the first post. Would the haynes manual be a worthy purchase for this repair or is the information here better.

Last edited by cobs; 07-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM
CaravanHomer

No I don't have a saved copy but I did create a document myself. You can find a copy here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...F9A29CBE4A!103

This doesn't include the instructions for removing the HVAC unit but that is fairly easy once the dash is removed.

Last edited by CaravanHomer; 09-14-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
cobs

Yes I did download your document CaravanHomer, it looks great but just wanted to see how easy it was to remove the evap after the dash was removed. I was able to see the pictures and text from the original article via google cache. Now I need to hunt around and find this a/c leak.

Quick Reply: AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures