Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Themusj
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help! I cannot for the life of me find the screw t the lower heat duct. I even pulled up the carpet molding and the carpet and I can see no screw. The duct appears to be held in place on the left and right side by some tabs. Would be difficult to get them out as on either side of those is the rest of the duct work. The directions above and other places make this sound like a piece of cake. Just remove the screw and remove the duct. It does appear they cut the carpet to get at this invisible screw.

Anyone seen this missing screw?

Old 07-07-2023, 09:25 PM
vgb14

I realize that it has been five years since the last post, but I have just started on this job and have hit a major stumbling block. First I want to give thanks to Mr. Mahoney and Caravan_Homer for providing the documentation to make this repair possible.

I have spent the past two days stepping through Caravan_Homer's document but I am stuck on step 32, which is where the pinch bolt needs to be removed from the steering shaft. It is an odd shaped pinched bolt in that the head is round by design, i.e. there are no flats to loosen it with. The workshop manual makes no mention of any special requirements to loosen it. I have attached a vise grip to the head and so far have only been successful in creating teeth marks in it. I am going to spray some liquid wrench on it and let it stay overnight, but was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks to removing it. Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:25 AM
CaravanHomer2
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I posted under CaravanHomer many years ago when I did this job on our long-gone 1999 van. I think you have to loosen this by turning the nut. My recollection is that the head of the clinch pin/bolt was splined under the head to keep it from rotating. My instructions state that this is a nut plate but I recall loosening this by turning the nut, not the head of the clinch pin.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:35 AM
vgb14

Hi CaravanHomer, thanks for replying to my question.
It seems that it is indeed a nut plate as you indicated all those years ago (see left side of 2nd image).
I discovered that the bolt has flats on the center of it, however, there is so little room to get leverage in there. I believe you are correct that the bolt has a locking patch that wedges itself in and makes me wonder if it should be reused or replaced with a new one. In any case, I'm going to experiment with different techniques and see what I can do. The bolt is similar to the 1st image below - note the flats in the center. It would be a shame to get this far and then get hung up on this.

See Nut plate on left side

The following users liked this post:
FabricGATOR (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 11:43 AM
CaravanHomer2
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recall that the nut stays in place with a clip or something like that. It isn't welded on there or anything. It should still rotate and push the pin out.

The following 2 users liked this post by CaravanHomer2:
FabricGATOR (07-08-2023), vgb14 (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 01:06 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, It is going to be easier than I think, that you think.... They didn't do this to stump you, but more likely to assist you. I bet that the nut indeed does rotate and that it is conveniently held in position.
It is like a puzzle at CrackerBarrel

Once you figure it out, please return here and tell us all for the future folks,
I know how easy it is to forget to return once we get past our stumbling block.

I add this next statement to every post now, at least one time:
I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say YEA! or NAY...

The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

Old 07-08-2023, 08:51 PM
vgb14

Originally Posted by CaravanHomer2
I recall that the nut stays in place with a clip or something like that. It isn't welded on there or anything. It should still rotate and push the pin out.
Gosh darn it, you were absolutely right. The nut turns; do I feel dumb; I got it out; thanks for your help!!!

Old 08-09-2023, 01:39 PM
vgb14

I completed this job a few weeks ago and the A/C has been running well. All these years later, the documentation provided by Mr. Mahoney and CaravanHome proved immensely helpful.

I just want to add a few minor notes that I jotted down in case it may help anyone in the future. These notes refer to the 36 step document provided by CaravanHomer. My vehicle is a 2000 Grand Caravan.

Step 16: As indicated, it wasn't necessary to remove the upper steering column cover.
Step 23b: Be very careful not to drop the mirror torx screw into the fender. I did this and had to partially remove the wheel liner to get the screw
Step 28: On my 2000 GC, the nuts were 11mm, not 10mm
Step 31: On my 2000 GC, there was just one 11mm bolt holding these in.

Old evaporator - oil and dye everywhere

On the road again with cold a/c

Old 08-09-2023, 01:59 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great post and thank you for your 'learned from experience' comments with details.
Like I said, it is your feedback and contributions that make these completed forums GREAT!

The core picture with the dye staining is a great poster for keeping the evaporator clean. All that sand, grit, leaves and (rodent urine) likely causes the aluminum to rot
The majority of them leak at the bottom like that.

Cheers!

Enjoy

Old 08-10-2023, 09:43 AM
vgb14

Thanks, Gator.

One thing I wish this car had was a cabin filter to keep all that crud out. Technically it did have one as an add-on accessory that would be inserted into the cowl area, but good luck finding one.

I thought about comparing the 2001 evaporator housing (which has a cabin filter) to the 3rd gen to see if it was plug and play but didn't have the time and I think it's doubtful it would fit.

Quick Reply: AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures