Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Mike22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

Hi guys, this is my first post here and I'm seeking some advice on a dodge caravan.

Recently my car broke down and it seems it's going to cost way more to fix it then I want to so I'm stuck getting something different.

I live in a small area and all I have found is this,

A 99 dodge caravan.
It's got 300k KM's on it and the guy told me the engines had work done and the transmissions been replaced and there is actually still warranty on the trannie. He's asking for $1700 for it.

Is this worth it do you think? How long would you say a caravan could last before it hit the bucket. I really do need something reliable since I go into town pretty much every week for doctors appointments (Have two chronic diseases and my treatments in town) I think the mileage is a little high, my old car that broke down was a 92 and had 250k and I was a little iffed to buy it.

So can I get your guys advice on this? Thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
chopper
Veteran

You don't say what kind of engine work was done or why the transmission was replaced.
I would be kinda' leery of it but just because I don't know the history or the reason for the heavy repairs.
If the van has been abused something else can break at anytime.If the van had an easy life and something just broke then it might be good for quite awhile.
The owner could have been ripped off by the shop and the tranny was replaced for no real reason.There ARE problems with the transmissions on these vans that can be fixed without rebuilding the whole tranny.

Look here for an idea on a fair price.
http://www.kbb.com

Here's a good place to look for mechanical advice.
http://www.allpar.com/

Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Mike22

He won't say what engine work was done, I've tried getting it out of him several times but he just won't say.

The previous owners were huderites so it was probably driven pretty hard.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Warren1974@shaw.ca

300k is pretty high, regardless of engine work and transmission work. Thats just the power plant. What about brakes, suspension, steering components etc., etc., don't forget they also have 300k. I would likely save more money and buy something with lower mileage.

Quick Reply: Need some advice