Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM
utkan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Noises

Here is the deal. My 2005 caravan with 98 000 miles started to make noises when I shift to D or R or starting (from complete stop) Here is a link to the video so you can listen to the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd9ageLyg_g .
I am going to change the filter and fluid this weekend(fluid never been replaced). Except the fluid change is there anything you guys think is going on with the transmission.
And I am going to try flushing the tranny oil after dropping the pan and replacing the filter by using the cooler lines to add new oil and storing the old oil in a other bucket. I am planing to have about 15 quarts of new Castrol Atf 4+ oil. Does anyone know which side is the out and which is in (cooling lines). Or anyone thinks this is bad idea.
Thanks in advance.
Utkan

Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Your video really didn't help much. Could be loose axle nuts or maybe a planetary gear set. I would need more information. Like is this sound when your foot is on the brakes and you'll shifting from reverse to drive? or only when moving? Trans flush in a bucket is a bad ideal. Take your fluid to a shop that has a power flusher.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
utkan

It is coming from the transmission for sure. You kinda have to listen for the sound. It happens when shifting from park to reverse, natural to reverse or natural to drive. And vary similar noise comes when I start to accelerate from stop for 1 second or so. (you can hear it in the video too).
May I ask why you think the flush at m,y garage idea is bad. I just know I can do it and don't trust mechanics.
Thanks
Utkan

Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Then I shouldn't be on the web site.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM
utkan

Master Tech sorry if I offended you. I have no problem with you (I did not even realize that you are mechanic till now) just that I got screwed every time I went to a mechanic in chicagoland. That I stoped going to mechanic shops if I really don't have to. Last time was when I had to get a key programed. I was not trying to disrespect you or your knowledge.
Thanks
Utkan

Quick Reply: Transmission Noises