Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Cranks but won't start! - Dodge Caravan 2000 3L V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
B2TheEYo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but won't start! - Dodge Caravan 2000 3L V6

Hey all,

I have a 2000 3.0L V6 Dodge Caravan (mini).

I didn't drive it much through the winter, but did every other day take it for a 5KM drive to prevent it from problems occurring sitting for long periods of time. Then one day I went out to start it, and nothing.. The engine cranked and cranked but it REFUSED to fire.

I've done lots of things to correct the issue, I know it could still be a billion other things but hopefully someone that has had this problem, can give me an idea, or advice!

Things I've done:
  1. Added a additive to the fuel to unfreze and prevent freezing - OK
  2. Checked fuel pump works - OK
  3. Check for bad relay/fuses - OK
  4. Recharge battery - OK
  5. Replace spark plugs, cables and rotor and distributor - OK
  6. Check ignition coil - firing blue should be OK
  7. Checked if fuel had pressure before entering engine - OK (lots of it!)
  8. Replace battery for kicks, and replaced computer unit
It's been kind of a long process.. Kinda disappointment after disappointment. I've done lots of things.. I checked the engine and belt to ensure it wasn't ceased and that everything is moving and sounds fine.

Of course it's been turned over so many times, it's flooded the engine. I've cleaned out the oil (since gas got in the oil - yay!). Put in new oil, and then removed that and put in another clean batch (as well as a new filter).

Something too note is before my multiple oil change recently, the oil pressure light is on, and I assumed changing the oil would correct the issue (since the oil was like water thanks to the gas).

So here I am, humbly asking the aid from you great folks.. What should I do next? At this point, I'm assuming there is a problem with my oil pump or (if it has one) the sensor; leaks cannot be possible as NOTHING has leaked on the driveway that it's sat on all winter.

Please help!

Last edited by B2TheEYo; 05-03-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Nofrag
Champion

So you have checked for spark at the plug then? I would imagine that you don't have an air supply problem. If you have spark at the plug, then the last link in the chain is fuel.

One way you can check for pressure at the fuel rail is to disconnect the line at the rail, place something under the line to catch any gas that comes out, then have someone turn the key to the run position(not start) while you watch to see if gas comes out, it should come out pretty good, but only briefly because before starting the pump will only run for a few seconds to pressurize the line. If it doesn't gush then you have some sort of blockage between the tank and fuel rail, an old fuel filter may be the issue. If it does gush then you have an injector problem, either they're all bad(which is not likely) because even with a couple dead injectors it would run, or they're not being told to fire.

Before trying that though, try jumping pins 87 and 30 in the automatic shut down relay socket, and turn the key. The injectors get ground from the PCM, but they get their power from this relay. If it is dust, then the injectors won't fire.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM
B2TheEYo

thanks for the reply.

I already removed the gas line, it gushed out really hard, lots of pressure as I stated in #7. It is getting fuel that is clear, since the engine was completely flooded with gas after being cranked so many times after each change/tweak.

There is a spark on the plugs as well, I checked each one individually before installing it (not necessary I know - but those buggers are hard enough to put in and out never mind doing it twice!).

Air shouldn't be an issue - new filter. I sprayed some gas into the upper header part above the engine through the air intake hose, and tried to tire it. No luck. My brother also sprayed some "ether" into it. Same results.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Nofrag
Champion

lol I was going to suggest quick start(ether), but I see you tried that. So you have fuel, you have spark, you have air, but no fire............... Something is very wrong with that picture

Old 05-04-2009, 07:36 PM
B2TheEYo

You can say that again.

I know there is fuel getting into the engine with pressure, ontop of that the engine was flooded!

There obviously HAS to be a spark as they worked outside of the engine.

I can't see how air cannot be an issue.

But I have an Oil Pressure light on the dash as I said before, is it possible the oil pump suddenly quiet or the sensor for that pump did and the computer refuses to start the engine?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Nofrag
Champion

The computer does have the auto shutdown relays at it's disposal, but one of those shuts off the injectors, so I don't think that's it. Have you checked for codes?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
B2TheEYo

No I haven't checked for codes, didn't think I would get any as I have no engine light on - just the oil pressure one. I've swapped the auto shutdown relay with the horn/headlamp ones - still has no progress.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 PM
B2TheEYo

No, it doesn't bring up any codes unfortunately.

Any other help guys/gals?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Remove the air horn going to the throttle body and spray carb clean into the bore. and try start the engine. If it starts then you may have bad fuel? Also i think you stated that you replaced the engine controller. You may need to have it program with the vin and mileage.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
CliffWN

I have a 2000 dodge caravan with a 3.0 engine. my problem is that I broke the crankshaft position sensor and can't remove it. I've drilled it out and inserted a screw into the hole but have no leverage to pull it out. there seems to be no room. do you have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Cranks but won't start! - Dodge Caravan 2000 3L V6